Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Quick clarification for general functionality of GH2 hack
  • Hi, so I just hacked my GH2 with some of the latest Driftwood patches...can't wait to shoot!!

I just want to clarify something first, which I think I understand but haven't been able to empirically confirm yet...

So, the functionality of the GH2 NEVER changes with any of the hacks right? Only what goes on behind the curtain, I.E. Framerates are specific to shooting modes and don't change unless specified in the patch notes, Intra is applied to all modes (unless otherwise specified), same with GOP, Quant etc etc etc.

The only exception being higher ISO settings.

If this is true, then (since I just bought the GH2) getting accustomed to the functionality of the camera is really unrelated to the hacks/patches and http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-usage/gh2-usage is all I need to 'learn' the camera.

The hacks/patches are a sort of 'silent' upgrade to what happens behind the curtain or lens correct?

Thanks in advance!

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • @Dam4ge

Yes, you are correct the functionality is the same. The difference is in the video quality. Depending on what you are planning on shooting there are different settings that achieve different things.

Here are my three favorite patches thus far. I highly recommend that you try these out.

1. Cake V2.3
    2. Moon T-5
    3. Valkayrie 444

Enjoy your awesome GH2 ;)

• Cool, thanks @Azo, I'll check them out.

• @Azo

Would you be willing to add a short description to the three hacks that you listed, further describing the different applications/advantages of each?

Would be nice to see that in one place in a concise version vs reading through the more detailed and monster sized threads dedicated to each hack.

• @_OZ

The patches that I listed are the patches that work for me. That being said everybody has different needs so please take this into account.

Cake:

I like this patch because is offers excellent video quality at moderate Bitrates. The other reason why I really like this patch is because it is really reliable in all modes e.g. 24p ,30p 720p. Out of the three patches that I listed, I found this patch to be the most reliable in terms of spanning in the 24p/30p/720p modes.

I would use this patch for weddings, recitals, product reviews, etc, etc. Good all around patch. Very Reliable Patch!

Moon T-5:

I like this patch because it provides the best video quality in 24p mode, and also because it provides more latitude in post. The other great thing about this patch is that it also spans in the HBR30p mode, it is a hit or miss sometimes spanning in the HBR30p mode but for the most part spans just fine. 24p mode spans with no issues or problems.

This patch offers the most flexibility in post. I would use this patch if I need the best possible video quality in 24p mode.

Valkayrie 444

This patch is kinda right in the middle of Moon T-5 and Cake V2.3 excellent video quality in all modes and due to the higher bitrate in 24p mode allows for a little more flexibility in post.

@_OZ

The really hard thing about settings is that everybody has a different opinion on what looks good and what doesn't. So it really boils down to what you prefer and what your needs are in terms of video quality and disk space. Anyway's try them out and see what works best for you.

Best Regards

• @Azo, I wish someone had written what you wrote when I was searching for this stuff! Thanks!

• I wish someone had written what you wrote when I was searching for this stuff! Thanks!

+1 Nicely done AZO! Yes, everyone has different taste, but such concise descriptions are valuable and not easy to cull from the monster threads about each patch.

• @maxotics, @_OZ

Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive feedback. Yeah, I agree with your sentiments about the different patches. If you are new to this forum it can be a little overwhelming due to the vast amount of patches that are available. I tried almost all of the patches and these are my favorites for the reasons that I stated above.

I forgot to mention another important thing in regard to the patches listed above. Cake V2.3 and Moon T-5 will span with slower cards like the Sandisk Exreme 64GB/45mb card. Although these cards are not recommended I performed some thorough tests on them and did not have any problems with Cake V2.3 or Moon T-5. I also have the faster 64GB/95mb cards for reference.

Another thing to note about the Sandisk Extreme 45mb cards is that for some reason the lower capacity cards 32GB are actually little slower then their 64GB counterparts even though they are rated at the same speeds. So if you are on a budget these slower cards will work with Cake V2.3 and Moon T-5 but you may want to consider the 64GB card instead of the 32GB for the little extra speed.

Best Regards