Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
So I bought a 2nd GH2...
  • I was going to rig something so we can truly see the differences between unhacked and hacked 24p footage. Meaning I'll set both cameras to the exact same settings and film something side by side; one with a hacked GH2 and the other with a standard one.
    Here's the problem - I don't have 2 identical lenses. I have the following:
    Panny: 14mm, 20mm, 14-45, 14-140, 100-300
    Voitlander: 25mm

So in testing, do you suggest I use the 14-45mm @ F4.0 on camera "A" and the 14-140 @ F4.0 on camera B for the closest likeness?

Don't worry I didn't buy the 2nd GH2 just for this reason; rather I am going to shoot things with multiple cameras occasionally. Anyway, let me know if you think there's another better pairing I should use (i.e. the 100-300 @ 100mm / 14-140 @ 100mm.
    Thanks,
    Shawn
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • Can you test out GOP3 vs GOP12? :)

Just 6 seconds clips will do it.
  • I heard 14-45 and 14-140 have same sharpness at 25mm.
  • Rent or borrow an identical lens for a week - why have identical conditions and settings but different optics? Defeats the purpose - there's even variation in glass too :) I would even swap the lenses/bodies to cover all the unknown variables. Good luck would be interested to see this.
  • All good ideas. I don't know of anywhere near here to rent or borrow any glass. I'll do some comparisons @ 25mm with the 14-45 and the 14-140 - that's about as close as I'll get. But at least we'll be able to see the effects of the hack vs. unhacked with the exact same lighting and camera conditions.

Stonebat - PM me which two settings you want me to use, i.e. seta and setb. I have some extra cards so I can flash "in the field". I can also host the raw .mts files so there will be no Youtube/Vimeo compression variable.
    Shawn
  • Stonebat - actually re-reading your post, I don't think I'm going to hack the 2nd camera. I want a virgin "spare" in the event I absolutely need to shoot something and I have trouble with the hacked version.
    Basically what I'm saying is I can film a scene with the unhacked and hacked cameras @ GOP3 and then @ GOP12, but not the same scene with 2 hacked cameras. Let me know if this is still worth it to you.
  • @Shield It ain't gonna do it. Enjoy your double GH2s!!!
  • Does anyone know how to copy the exact camera settings from one GH2 to another? I see the "ROM Backup" when I enter the temporary service menu. Assuming both GH2's are the same (USA Model) can I use this tool?
  • @Shield
    You're the one with two GH2s to compare. Surely you're not going to seek advice from us uni-GH2-ers!
    (But please do post the results)