Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Even cheaper 27" 2560x1440 monitors, Samsung PLS panels, matte

All this monitors use different panels. Samsung PLS instead of LG IPS.

Most have both matte and glossy versions.

monit.jpg
    731 x 559 - 66K
    monit1.jpg
    637 x 507 - 80K
  • 21 Replies sorted by
  • Wow... Looks great. No display port? Dual DVI only.

• I just ordered one of these since I work in a pretty sunny area. I tried the glossy and it killed me. I'll report back once it comes in. I've seen a few graphic designers say they work really well, just as good as the $999 Samsung monitor, just the base is a little shittier.

• Super PLS (Plane to Line Switching) is a proprietary LCD panel type developed by Samsung that is very similar in design and construction to IPS panel technology. Samsung has made claims stating Super PLS panels have wider viewing angles and produce 10% more brightness than IPS displays while being cheaper to produce

• That's about what I've been reading on forums with these monitors. I'll see! hopefully it calibrates just as well as the IPS I sent back.

• @vicharris Yes would like to hear about your calibrated result. I am interested in it but can't find reviews where they talk about black and contrast level.

• Very interested in the opinions you guys have when you get your monitors.

• I would be interested in the coating. Samsung panels with "clear coat" are very good, but they may not use that on these clear panels. On TVs, at least, Samsung is marginally better than LG.

• I have a 27" Viewsonic too. I'll calibrate both with the Spyder and see what we have going on here.

• So I just got the 27" X Star in. SO far so good but all the instructions are Korean so I really can't fine tune anything with my Spyder. I did one pass with it and it seems to have more green that my 27" Viewsonic next to it. Here's a couple of pics I tool with some test patterns and color charts from Shian.

Both were $300ish but the Viewsonic is only 1920x1080. I will say the stand on the Xstar which is the same in this thread is a piece of shit and it doesn't tilt, even though it say is does.

Viewsonic on the left XStar on the right.

20130715_185812.jpg
    2160 x 1620 - 488K
    20130715_190027.jpg
    2160 x 1620 - 517K
  • God damned ! Don't work with Mac computers !...

• Why would Mac mac a difference? I'm not directing that, I'm just curious. Are you talking about the monitor @gabilourson ?

• Ebay page says "do not use with Mac computers", and because it's looks like cheap and good quality... I am thinking to change my screen, just that.

• Ahhh, got it. Never saw that part. Hmmm, odd. I understand laptops but seems like towers would be ok but I'm no expert at all. I have a hackintosh running OSX 8.3 and it runs fine for whatever that means.

• Can anyone here speak to the differences between the glossy and the matte for color correction purposes? I am leaning towards the glossy from what I've read as I will be using it with a hood. Once I pull the trigger I will happily post impressions here...

• If you have any and I mean ANY light in the room behind you while you're editing, go for the matte. I've had both and I returned a glossy model. I couldn't stand all the glare from even the dimmest light sources. I've been in many pro editing bays in LA and they all use matte screens.

• Well, another drawback is that the manual only comes in Korean and the seller says there's not an English version available. I don't know how to get the OSD to work either. I used the Spyder to calibrate it and I think it might be close enough, especially since it's a $279 monitor. I might take it over to a friends house who has a pro calibrated monitor and see how close or far off it is. But in spite of that, it's still a damn good deal and I'm loving the matte instead of the glossy for my particular situation.

• You have complete communities dedicated to these Korean monitors at overclockers.net forum. I think you might get more help there. If it helps in any way, could you report back to us.

• I've been there already :). Nothing about that that I could find but those guys are fucking nuts. I've seen some threads with over 200 pages!!! Used the search function and all that stuff. I guess I could sign up and ask a question but I'm sure it's been answered in there somewhere. Most of the time I see those guys create custom color profiles for gaming. Most of them are really saturated and vibrant. The more I look at the color charts like this pics I posted above, I'm thinking it's not too far off though.

One thing though, once calibrated, Spyder says this monitor is only 99% of sRGB where the Viewsonic is 100% Both are around 77-80%% AdobeRGB though but that's with everyone of these monitors I've tried out in the sub $500 range. I need to go check my girlfriends Apple Cine monitor to see where it sits at AdobeRGB since companies have been using those for post work for years!

• So ... how's the X-Star working out so far? Looking at the page, with the "dead pixels not valid reason for return" has me a bit worried. Price, however, for size is interesting ...

Neil

• Love it! No problems at all. Calibrated it with a Spyder. Looks good. Went through some old footage and realized how bad I screwed up the CC using an older model! The only negatives are there's no OSD. No big deal if you have a spyder and they advertise it having a tilt screen somehow and it doesn't.