Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Why I decided to relax and love AMD 7970
  • As many of you know on PV I am a bit of a Apple Fanboy. Its ok. I know. Anyway. I have just installed a 7970 for FCPX editing. Frankly I have never experienced this sort of acceleration before in my life (I do have a 5770- and FCP7 - so that was 'fast', kind of).

Frankly in FCPX I now find that you have to switch off the scrubber almost all the time, as it will scrub everything you touch. Before in my old system it would kind of play stuff back if it could- but now- ehh! Talk about annoying. Move mouse to change some value- ZzzzzzzZzzzip.

Oh well.

Maybe this is what After Effects was talking about? I don't know. But I do know I just watched my timeline background render itself while I made myself a coffee. (The project is 1 Hour long with 1000's of transitions - effects - animations - ken burns etc.

I think that I may get 2.

A bit like what that Edius guy said the other day on the forum: 'render? what is that?'

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • so you've got this thing installed with your 3770k? Great that this video card can be used now in the hackintosh, I really need fcpx to speed up big time so with any luck this will be my goto card! :-)

• Yup all running smooth and powerful. Honestly FCPX on a 7970 is a dream. But this has been working for some time now in MacPro land, its just that the MacPro doesn't have PCI-E 3 so the poor card is bottle-necked quite badly. (During the Apple FCPX reveal they MUST have been using Hackintoshes)

• This is good to know. I've been lusting after an AMD for a while now and this just seals the deal. I'm trying to spec a system now, in preparation for a BPC and Resolve. Man I love this stuff :)

• I really really like the MSI 7970 TF3. It has great cooling, its on an AMD pcb so its compatible with every after market cooler if you want to go crazy. It also has a bios switch so you can flash the bios yet also have a backup bios if everything goes wrong. Oh and unlike the Gigabyte 7970 the MSI is voltage unlocked. Which means you can boots clocks with more stability.

All in all a great card. (even if its a year old). And probably the best GPU for FCPX now. And considering that Adobe is now also supporting OpenCL its only a matter of time before Nvidia is for gaming only, (or mimics AMD's designs). Most probably the latter. RIP CUDA, I WUDA, SHUDA, CUDA.