Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Zoom H4n + Giant Squid omni mono lav powering
  • I saw a bunch of videos on YT with these mics being tested on H1 Zoom's and nobody mentions powering, some YT'ers say the Giant Squid lav mic doesn't need power at all. Which one is it?

Can the H4n power the omni mono lav from GS?

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • I have GS mono + Zoom H1 - no power needed...same for GS + GH3

• I guess it doesn't work on H4n

• It will work with H4n. Look at their website. "All GS mics are compatible with these and many other recorders; Edirol R9, Zoom H2, Zoom H4N, Zoom H1, Olympus DS-40, Olympus LS-10, Zi8 Kodak pocket video, Tascam DR-01, Tasacam DR-03, Tascam DR-07, and Yamaha CX."

• Much better than Audio Technica ATR3350. Better sound and no power needed.

• Who knows what do they mean by "compatible".

From Giant Squid web: "This mic is designed specifically for use with the “mic input” jack, also known as "plug-in power," that has voltage outputs from between 1.5 to 9 volts or with our Miniature Stereo and Mono Microphone 9 Volt Battery Power Supply."

• All I know for sure is that Zoom H1 works fine with GS. H4n is higher in their lineup...

• Can any H4n owner check this out? I didn't get any replies from the Squid.

• th h4n has mic power (also called plug in power), thats what this lavalier needs, it has it on the back, on the 3.5mm input, i dont have a h4n though

• Well...put another set of batteries (even tho the batt. indicator was 3 bars) and the thing works

:/

As for the mic itself, from the little testing I've done, the Squid sounds very, very good.

• I have a new H4n and a Giant Squid's Omnidirectional Mic. I have tried using no power, as well as +24 and +48 phantom power with no success.

Any suggestions?

• I found the solution from these links: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-309098.html http://wikis.evergreen.edu/computing/index.php/H4N_Zoom_Recorder_-_Menu_System

Simply: turn off phantom power but turn on "Plug in" power in the Input options.