Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 editing in Avid Media Composer 6.5
  • Is anyone editing GH3 files in Avid? Two queries ... 1/ Avid won't support .mov files shot at 50p (via AMA link). Does anyone know of a way to transcode these files into a codec Media Composer will support? 2/ Avid will play .mov files shot at 25p - but I get horizontal lines breaking up the image if there's much movement. The same files play fine via the Quicktime player on my iMac so the pooter isn't the problem. I've tried transcoding the GH3 quicktime files into various codec supported by Avid but get the same problem every time. Has anyone else had this problem? I assume it's also a problem for 5D users on Avid.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • No problems at all for me in Media Composer 6.5. Just transcode to some flavor of MXF. Works great. I've never had great success with Avid's AMA system. Always run into glitches somewhere in the process.

• +1 AMA isn't the greatest. Far quicker to do a hard import into your chosen dnxHd resolution

• I've tried transcoding the files into different codecs supported by Avid (i.e. using Avid to transcode and import the files) and however I do it I run into the same problem. I'm wondering if it's caused by my firewire link (my iMac is thunderbolt capable but I'm running a G Drive via Firewire). When I look at the offending clips frame by frame they look fine so maybe it's a playback issue. Odd thing is the files are fine played straight into Quicktime.

• What are your project settings? And what are you using for monitors?

• @mrbill I personally have found AMA and transcode to dnxHD to be faster than an import transcode. I had a major project in Avid 5.5 last year and AMA transcode seemed almost twice as fast as straight up importing. I don't know if its the same with 6.5 as the comp I work on with 6.5 has an ingest dept.

• Personally (on 6), I import transcode to DNxHD 10bit (175 or 220), then transcode to DNxHD 36 for the edit. Then relink before output.

I haven't tried any 50p footage, but I stumbled on this
    http://mxf-to-prores-aic.com/how-to-get-panasonic-gh3-108050p-avchd-videos-into-avid-media-composer-for-editing/

• Thanks. This is for Avchd files though not MP4. With MP4 it's the same workflow as 5D - and there is lots of advice on this out there. Best route appears to be AMA link then transcode (either to offline quality then relink later then transcode again for master file); or edit directly from AMA if storage/ pooter big and strong enough. I have still to find a procedure to get 50p files into media composer though. Looks like Adobe Prem Pro is the only one to support it at the moment.

• @kavadni @rodw for AVCHD MTS Files i use the AVCHD Transcoder 1.1 from Panasonic to wrap it into P2 Content Folder, then "link to AMA Volume" from File Menue. I tryed it today even with a 1080/50p Shot and it work fine. I convert MOV Files to DNxHD with Aunsoft Video Converter on Windows, it´s a cheap and handy Tool and when you work with Avid MC it is indispensable. AVCHD Transcoder 2.1 did not work with Files from a Hacked GH2, only with original Panasonic Files.

Link to Version 1.1 on dvxuser.com http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?158792-Old-Panasonic-AVCHD-converter-needed!-Version-1-1-or-older

For Mac User: Pavtube MTS/M2TS Converter is similar to Aunsoft on Windows http://www.pavtube.com/mts-converter-mac/

• I get into video learning avid, 10 years+ or so then quit since know about GH 2 camera ;-)

• With MC7, you can use the drop transcodes to make online and offline versions at the same time. In the background.