Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Meetup: Rome, Personal-View Meeting
  • @bardamu nice to see the Eternal City is finally speaking up and getting represented. I'll be there possibly sometime next week and/or the following. It would be great to meet you and any other members there.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • I will be glad to mett you Branson and someone other I hope. But, let me make you a question... Are you Italian speaking? Cause, I'm not so good in speaking english at voice(I need more training) and so it could be a bit difficult! :)

• yes @bardamu I speak Italian. I would answer you in Italian, but I don't want to get in trouble with the boss @Vitaliy_Kiselev again :) We must keep English as the language of the forum, but I think we can communicate however is best when we meet. Are you available in late June?

• I was in Rome in 2010. Is it now still $EU 6 for buffet included a glass of red wine @ Trastevere ?

• Best meetup location yet! I'm looking forward to any videos your gathering might shoot.

• @ Branson I'm sure I am in Rome until 21 june, the last week of june I could take an holiday but now I am not so sure. May you only in that week? @ tinbeo I think now is at least 7 Euro! :)

• Hi @bardamu, sorry I didn't get your message till now (I think there should be no space between the @ and the username, or it doesn't call our attention). I will be in Rome starting the weekend of June 29. If people are meeting up, I'd be interested in joining.

• Sorry I didn't know @Branson. However i am in Rome until 21 of June and after from the 1 of july. I wait for someone other to meet and i hope to.

• @Branson @bardamu What's about a meet-up at Trastevere buffet on July 4? I will be there that week.

• 4 of july in Trastevere is ok for me! @tinbeo @Branson

• @bardamu @tinbeo I'm in Rome from 24-30 June, but then I will be out of town until later in July. If you meet up on July 4, I hope it's at a nice trattoria in Trastevere. I agree with @htinla, it might be nice to see impromptu footage of anything you might shoot. I'll reach out to you again before I come back to see if you want to meet (again).

• What is the best way from FCO airport to Rome? Last time I took a bus, almost 2 hr to get there. A question if you guy could help? How is the wifi speed internet in Rome now? ( @ an internet public place in Via della Pineta Sacchetti in 2010 it took forever like 5 hours to upload a 5 minutes video clip ( 400mb ).the most speed I could get was 15Kbs at that time. How is the speed near St Peter Square in Hotel or hostel place? Do you guys still want to get together in Rome? I am a stranger so dunno much where could we meet.

• @tinbeo

FCO --> ROMA CENTRO There's an express train from Fiumicino to Stazione Termini, the central stop in Rome, which connects to the metropolitana (subway to Americans, tube to the English). When you get out of arrivals, follow the signs for the train -- I think they're yellow icons that show a caboose on tracks -- and you can buy the ticket from the machines or the manned kiosk near the platforms. It's €14, and when I took it earlier this week, it arrived to pick us up an hour late, so not very 'express'. Normally it should get you to Termini in about 30 mins.

**You must validate your ticket before boarding the train or the 'train fare police' may levy a €200 fine on you. Or you can try your luck playing the 'ignorant tourist' card. You'll see yellow or gray/green machines about the height of a parking meter labeled 'convalidare'. Just put the ticket into it and depending on the size ticket you get (the machines issue a full size ticket and the kiosks a smaller one) you may have to slide it to the left of the slot to get validated.

FYI: There's a lot of renovation going on at FCO which has made all efficiency levels drop to even lower than you'd expect from an Italian airport. So be prepared for delays and possibly for other things not to go as planned.

In case it matters, you also won't be able to buy a local SIM card at the airport. At least not at arrivals. The only airport location that sells SIMs is the Vodafone at departures, once you've passed security. So not very international traveller-friendly, I'm afraid. I'm considering doing a mini-documentary on the Italian way of stepping backward two steps to move forward one. Once you're in the city, though, Vodafone and Wind offer some prepaid cards with summer deals on talk, text, and internet. Which brings me to your other question...

INTERNET I've been in Italy for a week now, in Umbria and Lazio (the province where Rome is), and while I can say there is generally more wifi in more places -- for example, Villa Borghese, the city's largest park just north of Piazza di Spagna, has free wifi hotspots (which I haven't tested yet) -- the connections vary from low-end cable modem to pathetic 786kb DSL. I bought a Wind SIM and tether it to my laptop. Its 4G speeds outclass the home internet speeds I've been using.

And while I wouldn't rely on my prepaid SIM to upload some raw footage from my GH2, the 3GB datacap I got for €12.50 beats the hell out of anything I'm aware of in other countries (a.k.a. USA). *I'm actually not sure it's 3GB, the offer I read said 1GB at full speed, plus a 2nd GB at some unlabeled lowered speed, but after registering the plan I received an SMS saying I had 3GB to use until there was a speed cap placed on data. These contradictions abound, so just be prepared.

I haven't tried the wifi at Piazza San Pietro so I can't really comment on it. As for meeting up, I'm always up for it, but as I leave Rome this weekend, I fear we will miss each other this time round. If you're still in town when I'm back, the third week in July, let me know. Otherwise, some of the others in Rome @bardamu seemed keen on getting together when you suggested, July 4th?

Best of luck to you, and if there's anything else I can help you out with, just shoot me an e-mail.

• Thanks for information. I was so busy in Roma. Comeback to Trastevere last night: More place to eat, 4 EUR for a bottle beer. Naopoleeon Hotel was nice, but internet speed was terrible. About those sim card, cost me 25EUR for nothing. I bought those vodafone deals which the minutes had gone before I used it -:000. It's still hard to communicate in Roma as Italians still beleive they speak God's language ;-) ( just kidding, no obstructive talk here). Has been a short time for me to do what I had to and enjoy the Roma like most travelers. Too bad, did not have a chance to see GH2's fans in here. I was at a shoot, an auditorium and people stared at me with their " big equiment" after I show them some footages by Driftwood :-)

• @Branson

Let me know if someone is interested in orgamizing winter meetup.