Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Trip to Sweden/Stockholm
  • Hi guys,

I'm planning a trip to Sweden for 10 days to make a sort of observational film of the culture and lifestyle as well as of my journey. I went to Sweden every year with my family when I was younger and I simply fell in love with the place and the people. I haven't managed to go back for a few years since though and now that I'm 18 I'm planning my first trip with a friend for the middle of July. Unfortunately I speak very very little Swedish but from experience there is a lot of English spoken there, I intend to learn as much of the language as I can before I go though.

I have a few of questions about lenses, laws and living.

First off, I'm taking my GH2, fluid head (heavy) tripod, laptop and small led video light. Also a Gopro Hero 3. A tent, sleeping bag and GPS as well as other essentials.

Living:

.: Most importantly I'd like to stay alive, so if there are any places I should avoid especially at night I'd be grateful to know.

.: Also if anyone lives in or around Stockholm and wouldn't mind allowing me and a friend to stay the night, we will both be 18 or under and of course very respectful of your home. And very thankful not to spend every night in a tent!

Lenses:

.: 14-42mm Kit Lens

.: 50mm Zenitar f1.7 or 50mm Nikon f1.8

.: Hopefully picking up a 28mm pentax-M before I go.

.: Is it worth renting a further lens such as a Voigtländer 25mm f0.95?

Laws:

.: I've read that there are very relaxed photography laws in Sweden and that I can take pictures of anyone or anything without their permission as long as I am in a public space (excluding art?) and do anything non-commercial with it.

.: I plan on camping a few nights too and that in Sweden I can camp anywhere I like within reason and without permission?

I'm really looking forward to this trip and if there is anything in particular I should be aware of that would make it more enjoyable please let me know :)

I've also noticed Vitaliy is planning some potential PV Meet-ups in cities around the world so if it happens to lie within the dates I decide then I'll be there of course.

Thanks, Max.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • @FilmCat

Not too many places to worry about. Using the subway system at night is perhaps the most likely place to encounter crimes of violence in general, but it´s still very safe. There might be very local "risky" places but in general if it feels safe it most likely is. There has been a big increase in pick-pocketing in central areas of stockholm (and in the subway), though I doubt it´s any more severe than if you were f.i. in London or any other western world capital.

You´ll get by with English, no problem.

re: camping, yes, within reason.. if you are unsure, just ask a local.

There´s a lot you can do, it depends on what you are looking for and how far you are willing to travel from Stockholm.

Re: photography laws, I think you are correct, though I don´t have expertise in those matters. I think there have been harassment cases where the photographer has been intruding in the private sphere in a public place so to speak. (f.i. guys who have been following women / taking photos / posting them online without consent).

• @RRRR That's all really useful thanks, I'm planning on staying in and around Stockholm for a few days then shooting in a national park or equivalent for a day or two and then traveling east to a tiny island called Alon near Oxelösund to meet some friends for the last two days. Stopping along the way.

Although I have no specific plans so if there are any events going on or anything particularly interesting then I don't mind traveling to anywhere, my only restriction is money.

Are you in Sweden yourself?

Thanks again, Max.

• @FilmCat Yep, in Umeå, up in the north.. It´s a bit far unless you aim for this region! I´m sure someone who lives closer to where you´re heading can guide you to some nice places!

One thing re: camping in the area around Stockholm - keep an eye out for ticks, and if you´ve been bitten and develop a rash around the bite-mark, get to a hospital. If you don´t have a vaccine for TBE already you might want to consider it (although I hear its expensive) or at least consider precautionary measures before hand.

(ticks spread some of the nastiest diseases you can contract up in the north)

• @RRRR I think it's a little too far, I wasn't intending on traveling anymore than about 150miles from Stockholm. but perhaps another time if this trip is successful, the return flights are only £60 so not very expensive at all.

Thanks for the heads up, I've had ticks before in Scotland, although I don't know how readily they carry TBE, the symptoms look bad but then again so does the cost, I'll take my tick remover and be extra vigilant.

Thanks for all your help, Max.

• The photography laws are very liberal - You can photo / film anyone in a public space, and even in stores and such. Although they might ask you to leave they do not have the legal backing :). The only place to avoid would be around the clubs, that's where there is the most crimes at night.

• As a Swede I would tell you to stay away from Stockholm and go to Gothenburg instead, haha. But watch out for the suburbs, there's been a lot of rioting going on lately.

You can take your camera with you everywhere that is a public place or considered a public place, like stores. They can only ask you to leave. And in these places your allowed to use your photographs and videos in any way as long it's not hurtful to a specific person. They can ask you to delete photos, but that's it. You can use your material for commercial purpose as well as long as there's no copyrighted stuff in frame like a logo. But if that's your aim, then it would be polite to ask that person for permission.

• Well I've just had a look at Gothenburg and it looks really beautiful, if I can find somewhere to stay then I can get a return train from Stockholm for around 385 SEK so I think that could work :)

I read about the rioting, I'd imagine it'll be over in the next 2 months though unless it is really bad. I have no plans to use anything commercially however I may use some as stock footage online through a friend and some in music videos that I produce so I'll be sure to check that they do not contain any copyrighted material.

• If you indeed go to Gothenburg and the weather is great I can recommend using the public transport ferries to go out in the archipelago. It´s flat rate (very cheap) and it will take you out island-hopping. Definately a scenic route! Very close to the city yet miles away in terms of feel and atmosphere. At night time you might be able to experience swimming in http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mareld

:)