Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Speed-Up Video. MAC Software Otions
  • MAC Only.

(No Adobe software ever, Thanks.)

I have Motion 5, which has an 800% max-speed limit. I need more than 8X.

I have Quicktime pro 7.

I have compressor.

I'm looking for the quickest solution to turn 15 minutes of video into 20 seconds.

Apparently there is a way to copy/past in QT Pro that will scale original video to new video. No luck so far.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • You could try altering framerate or speed with tools from these sites:

http://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/home.html

http://www.squared5.com/

But the simplest way might be to speed up as far as possible in Motion, export at normal framerate, then re-import and speed up even more.

• Thanks,

I think you maybe right. Using motion and doing it twice.

• Next question:

Is it possible using conversion software to convert AVCHD 60p to smooth 30p similar to interpret footage in AE.

I don't want to drop half the frames, just want nice smooth slow-mo.

Can Quicktime do this or a transcoder?

Oh, one more thing. Clipwrap can rewrap mts files with transcoding, the files are h264... are these not the 'purest' high quality original files vs. AIC or proRES?

• Is it possible using conversion software to convert AVCHD 60p to smooth 30p similar to interpret footage in AE.

Yes, 5DtoRGB does that, You can select the output frame rate and all frames get remaped 1:1, for eg. 10 seconds long 60p video becomes 20 sec long 30p.

• In "rewrap" mode ClipWrap takes video data straight from original file. The rewrapped file contains just what came from camera, so in principle it is 'purest' original quality for archiving etc.

Actual image quality might be better when transcoded to ProRes by tools like 5DtoRGB that do some postprocessing like chroma smoothing. As far as I know, it depends on camera and material whether any postprocessing is really needed.

Rewrapping in ClipWrap is convenient, as you get original video data in files that work on almost any device, don't take as much space as ProRes files and it is always possible to postprocess them afterwards. The only exception are high bitrate files from hacked cameras, when original .mts take as much (or more) space as ProRes .mov and don't play well on all devices. In that case might as well postprocess and transcode them to ProRes right away.

• @QuinEtiam

Apparently there is a way to copy/past in QT Pro that will scale original video to new video. No luck so far.

• in QTpro open a video A with same characteristics as the one you want to speed-up (video B)
    • in video A chose (IN and OUT) the lengh you want for your final video, this case 20 secs
    • open the video B (the one to speed-up) in QTpro, select all (cmd a) and copy
    • then in video A go to "Edit" and "Add to Selection & Scale" (alt + shift + cmd + v)
    • in "Window" go to "Show Movie Properties" (cmd + j) and delete video and sound track of video A

there you go... quicktime is our friend :D
    this little video TAINHAS love PFW was fully edited in QTpro, so much fun

all good

• You guys are amazing

• Question:

My workflow from my Camcorder(Panasonic HCv700)...

Clipwrap - rewrap into h264 or into ProRes422

Is ProRes422 higher quality than (max quality) h264?

• Hope I understood correctly what you mean...

HC-V700 shoots AVCHD/H.264 at bitrates up to 28 Mbps. ProRes422 uses different kind of compression at much higher bitrate. No visible information should be lost in conversion from 28Mbps AVCHD to ProRes422. However, straight conversion to ProRes422 with ClipWrap will not make image quality any better, as far as I know. It'll only make editing more convenient, because ProRes422 is an intra-frame codec better suited for realtime editing than h.264.

Since you seem concerned about quality, have you tried using 5DtoRGB for conversion to ProRes422 and compared it to ClipWrap conversion results?

Some cameras create video files in which edges of bright colored objects look pixelated. After chroma processing and ProRes conversion done by 5DtoRGB they look smoother, making image quality noticeably better.

Whether such chroma smoothing is needed can be tested with footage that has many sharp details in different colors. It is especially noticeable with bright red objects. For example, a street scene with bright colored advertisements, cars, people etc. If you shoot that kind of clip, then make from .mts file three versions - rewrapped, converted to ProRes by ClipWrap, and processed & converted to ProRes with 5DtoRGB - you can compare which conversion workflow is best for image quality.

• Damn, 5DtoRGB won't open my mts files, must be because of Mountain Lion.

• Ok, to expand on the topic:

Time Lapse or Speeding up the the video.

Let us say... 1/30 frames which could be 1 frame/1sec or 1 frame/300sec which would one frame every 10 seconds.

So I wanna do this:Using Apple Motion 5 http://cineform.blogspot.ca/2012/12/rethinking-time-lapse.html

"So let's say you want to simulate a 5 second exposure with a 10 second interval in full daylight (simulating a 180 degree shutter at play speed.) HERO's default exposure might be around 1/1000th of a second in strong daylight, nowhere near the 5 second exposure target. Yet the camera could be recording 4K at 12fps over those 5 seconds, collecting 60 individual frames. If you average those 60 frames, you get very close to the look of a single long exposure from a DSLR with a hell of a lot of ND filtration, without the setup headache. Typically blending over 30 frames for daylight simulates the motion blur of a single exposure. With darker shots that might have the camera's shutter exposure near 360 degrees (1/30th for 30 fps video), far fewer frames can be blended for a natural look. Of course, the more frames used in averaging, the smoother the results"

Instead of shooting Photo TL, I want to shoot video at 60pfs. Use 1/60 or 1/120 frames and frame blending for motion blur.

How to do this in Motion 5?

• You guys are out-standing, I do believe I found the answer.

In Motion 5 when you speed up say to 400%

Goto Project Properties

Motion Blur

Adjust Samples and Shutter Angle.

In effect it will give motion shots that long exposure look... I.E. silky smooth water flow or smooth light trails. The Limitation I have found is that Motion is limited to 800% speed-up.

• 60p to 30p

• Same shot at 400% shutter angle of 780, Samples 10, Reflection bounces 2