Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1 reliable 40Mbps FHD AVCHD + 2im/s FHD 54Mbps MJPEG for timelapse
  • Hi,

Here's my own hack I think it might be usefull to others. The purpose of my setup is for my vacations in USA next month: I'll do a personal souvenir little video, instead of the usual photos.

I wanted: • all in Full-HD 1920x1080 at 24im/s so that I can show it nicely on the plasma TV. • solid 35Mbps+ average for quality encoding and have 2 hours of time on a 32GB card. • timelapse mode to be able to do the traditionnal sunset/sunrise & night views. • ultra reliable (don't want to see any error message during my vacation) / plays in-camera (so that I can do some daily cleanup without a computer).

I mixed several settings from the forum (thanks all!) and managed to do it!

So it's on my GH1 (from UK), using a Sandisk 32GB SDHC UHC-1 card (rated 45MB/s). (I have the 25mm/f1.4 and 14-45mm lenses)

The settings: (file attached) • NTSC mode & 30mn limit unblocked (camera set in NTSC mode for 24im/s) • bitrate set at 40Mbps / 44Mbps peek (giving a 37Mbps average) for AVCHD Full-HD mode (24im/s wrapped in 1920x1080i/60) • MJPEG mode configured at Full-HD (1920x1080) at 2im/s only, allowing a 1/2s exposure / 2im/s filming with very good bitrate (needs manual mode + manual focus). Converted to 24p it is equivalent to 54Mbps bitrate (with 4:2:2 color sampling). That compression level will allow 1 hour of filming (2GB limit). Awesome!

It can run the deadlies charts for 10mn without any issue, giving a solid 37Mbps average on those death charts & nature on tripod (trees from my window), and plays in camera as needed.

It's still having a long GOP (1/2s = 12 frames GOP) and using the standard 1080i/60 wrapper, for reliability, but that's not an issue for me: Premiere can handle that very nicely to produce the 1080p/24 in the end.

And from the 1 hour (realtime) 2im/s MJPEG, using http://timelapser.net/ tool, I'll be able to make a 5 minutes timelapse (once converted from 2 to 24im/s) ... or even faster using Timelapser frames blending.

All tests are working perfectly and all. I can't wait my vacations next month! (will go to Washington DC, San Francisco / Monterey, and New-York)

setf.ini
    617B
  • 1 Reply sorted by
  • Here is my little vacations video made using that hack: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10tavl