Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GX1 vs GF5 etc... (already have a GH2)
  • This is a bit of a weird post. I have a small army of GH2s and completely love them. I run them all hacked and use on every paid gig. However, I am going to purchase the Panny X 14-42mm lens for an upcoming concert (not a paid gig, just one I am attending) and noticed that for a few hundred above the cost of the lens, I could get the 14-42mm WITH a GF3/5 or GX1! THEN, I noticed the GX1 is supported by the hack..

Do you all have an opinion on a nice SMALL M43 camera supported by the hack? This would likely be a B camera on future shoots, and would be a great travel/family camera. The GX1 looks nice. If the hack allows me to get great footage and manual app controls over filming, then I would be THRILLED!

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated. I love my hacked GH2s... Vitality has done amazing work.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Goto

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3114/deals-m43-bodies-and-stuff-panasonic-olympus-gf5-pz-for-339#Item_21

Check suitable kit and buy.

Note that cameras you referenced do not have manual video mode.

• Thank you for the thread reference, have it bookmarked for further research.

Do you have a recommended alternative or should I just stick with my trusty GH2?

I guess for an extra $100-$200 I shouldn't complain about loosing that control. I really just want the 14-42mm X lens lens, but was thinking there was bound to be a good small alternative. Such a nice price!

• If you have not checked it out before, I think the FZ200 is a great compliment to the GH2. Uses the same battery and offers a LONG zoom lens in a compact package.

• The 14-42mm is quite a nice lens, but quite slow. Also it has a lot of 'breathing' as it tries to find the autofocus point. Can be annoying. But the lens is good for outdoor work. Indoor, maybe not

• My thought is to have it as a go-to lens for family stuff, and for... filming... a... Rolling Stones concert next month. =) HOWEVER, if it ends up being a decent lens for documentary/quick-run-n-gun stuff, then that is a bonus.

Regarding the FZ200, I am considering picking one up. Really wish Panasonic would put out a firmware update so that Vitaliy could open it up. High framerate with a higher bitrate would be perfect for several projects I have this summer...