Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SONY Production Awards - you can make it happen!
  • Hi to the personal-view community!

This is a great forum, I am a community member and GH user from the very beginning (I had one of the first japanese GH1's which I still have, running the hack now for years without any issues) and now I am also using a GH2, of course also hacked.

With the hacked GH's, the fantastic part is you can use old glass (I have a 55mm f1.2 Canon FL, a 50mm f1.4 Canon FD, a 28mm f2.8 FD, a 50mm macro f3.5 FD) and recently also nice newer glass like the SLR Magic 12mm f1.6 or the Voigtlaender 25mm f0.95 for that special cinematic quality.

Using this gear I was very lucky to have 3 vimeo staff picks in the last years - with Vitaliy's hack there seem to be no limits in terms of IQ and the affordability of gear is obviously not the issue any more.

Now I have submitted one of my more recent films "Listen to the heart of Tuscany" to the Sony Production Awards:

http://productionawards.sony.eu/videos/view/39b4f5ff4a5ab5f4b81dddba662a2b56/

I was filming this over the course of 14 days last summer in italy.

The top 20 films make it to the final round, where a panel of industry professionals make the final judgement based on skill and also the gear which was used. Here I think my chances are not bad as I cannot imagine cheaper gear than the GH's (which I both used) with a 50$ Canon FD lens on it.

Now I am currently on 24th (out of 370 entries) - therefore every vote counts! Hence, I would highly appreciate it if you could vote for me and make it happen that the GH's win in a Sony competition!

Unfortunately, it is a bit tedious (but should not take more than 2 minutes), as you have to register first at
    http://productionawards.sony.eu/register/ , then click on the link in the subsequent email which is sent to you, and then (once you're logged in) you can use the link of my film above.

I highly appreciate your help!

Thank you all for the fantastic things I learned here, Gunther

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • +1 Congratulations! Best of luck!

• Loved the look of your short, voted :)

• Hi @jleo, thank you!

• Hi @matthere, thank you, greatly appreciated!

• @GMC That was really interesting - it really shifted me out of the stressed state I had been into a more deliberate pace and state of mind. I happily voted for it.

Could you speak a little bit about the sound side?

• Hi @thepalalias, thank you for that nice feedback! I recorded a lot of the ambient sound via the Zoom H2, but the ants and also the butterfly is foley (=fake) sound. Thats why I put it into the "creative" section and not the "factual" one, as not all of it is real.

• @GMC I figured it was foley but I wasn't sure if you'd done the foley work yourself or used a library. Either way, it was impressionistic rather than realistic but expressive. I liked it. :)

• @thepalias I have used a library for the foley sounds. Thanks for the "like" ;-)

• Just a quick update for everyone: I have reached the 20th place!! Thank you all. It is still very close, as the voting is open until next Friday, and the next guys are just 3 or 4 votes behind me. Hence, please keep on going and vote for me!

Thank you, Gunther

• UPDATE: what I described above has happened - I fell back to 22nd. This is really going to be extremely close. Hence again, every vote counts - I really highly appreciate every vote for me!

• Another update: this is really like a rollercoaster. I am bouncing back and forth between 18th and 22nd place. I hope when this finishes on friday, I'm on 18th and not 22nd at that moment ;-)

In any case, thank you all who have voted for me! I highly appreciate it! In case you have not voted yet, please take the time and do so, as this is a very close race!

• Voted :) great cinematography and sound!

• @Filmcat thank you very much for voting!

• Update: Only two days to go, I am fighting but still bouncing back between 18th and 20th place. Please help me to make it to the top 20! Thank you all!

• This is the last hour for voting! Thank you all who have supported me! At the moment it seems like a lost battle, as I am running 6th in the creative category, the top 5 make it to the final round. Whatever happens, it was an interesting experience, with some strange things happening at the very end (people which were always behind me are now doubling their votes within a few hours). This is what Vitaliy told me at the very beginning. Anyways, back to filmmaking, concentrating on the next project!