Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
VariZoom Stealthy
  • Anybody took a look at the VariZoom stuff they had at NAB 2013? They debuted a new all-in-one rig/stabilizer/monopod called the Stealthy.

http://www.varizoom.com/product-p/stealthy.htm

I am most interested in it for its stabilizer capabilities, as well as for its versatility, but am wondering how well it will fly. Has anyone tried the VariZoom Flowpod before? It is an earlier monopod/stabilizer of theirs and am guessing the stabilizing ability would be similar to both products. In any case, the feature set of the Stealthy looks unlike anything I've seen out there.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • I am not big fan of do it all designs.

• Yeah, I think by nature a jack-of-all-trades will always be a master of none, but it looks like it could be useful for run-and-gun work in a very portable size. I wonder if its worth spending on, or am I better off buying everything separate for more.

• Yikes, that music makes the promo video almost unwatchable.

My guess is that this thing is nowhere near as effective as they'd like you to believe, but probably better than nothing for run-and-gunners or casual vacation-video shooters who might otherwise just hand-hold everything. But for more serious film-making, I think this is probably a waste of time/money.

• So basically quality of work suffers in exchange for convenience. I suppose that's the premise I suspected from the start. Now it comes down to do deciding which boat I'm in. Guessing most readers of this forum are in the former.

• I love it when he gets that extra stick out of nowhere and turns it into a monopod. Top notch! Oh, and when the other dad takes a look at his camcorder support with envy. Classic comedy!