Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Continous autofocus for the taking lens in dual focus anachromatic shooting
  • I'm new to this forum and also to anamorphic shooting, though I worked as steadicam operator on projects with rented hawk lenses before. Recently I purchased my first anamorphic lenses on ebay, a set of Rathenower Rectimascopes 48/2x which I might get soon. Videos on youtube confinced me about how sharp they are:

However, the Rectimascopes are dual focus like many other scope lenses (Kowa, Moeller, Sankor) and I'll soon have the ability to test how this handles in real shooting. But I wonder if it is not possible to use a camera with continous autofocus for the rear lens at all. This way one would only have to focus the anamorphic lens and the rear is adjusted by the camera with contrast autofocus. No reason to fear the autofocus might adjust to the backround in this setup, though.

I have a Canon 60D and no autofocus lens at the moment since I use my old Contax/Yashica lenses for video and also photos but what I've read in the manual their autofocus won't allow for continous and fluent focus revision during REC. But a Panasonic GH series camera might do the trick. Eventually there is somebody who already tested this approach?