Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
14-45mm Panasonic lens issue
  • Hi, I recently got a used panasonic 14-45 lens from ebay described to be in very good condition. The lens seems so cheaply made, nowhere near my legacy lenses, it's like a toy...Real letdown. But what really troubles me is the zoom ring. It's okay when doing fast to medium movements but it feels sticky when zooming slow. It jerks and it's really hard to frame accurately especially on the wide side. Is the lens faulty or the same goes for your units? Thanks.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • I find the zoom ring sticks a bit on mine too. I think this is just inherent in the design. If you need smooth zooms while video is running, you're probably going to have to look elsewhere or consider using follow focus gearing.

I find that it's surprisingly sharp for stills, but the slow aperture at the long end has me avoiding it for video indoors and for events.

• Thanks for the quick reply Micah. No need for video zooming, I use it for stills too but it is really annoying for framing... Low quality plastics and terrible build quality but it's sharp yes.

• Is it the 14-42? Cause the 14-45 is metal

• Nope, it's the 14-45. Only the mount is metal. The rest is plastic...

• It's not all plastic, the barrel that extends is metal, and zoom ring is rubber.

Zoom is jerky if you try to do a smooth zoom while recording video, but I have never had any problems with framing. I also have all plastic 14-42. It is even jerkier, but still not to that extent for that to be a problem for framing.

• This is a moot issue. No M43 zooms are parfocal.

12-35-100mm 2.8 and X14-42 and X45-175 could mimic parfocal feature only at slow zooming.

This is not a biggie. No Canon EOS lenses are parfocal, either.

• @stonebat

On this words I always remember Tokina 24-200mm AT-X. This thing is parfocal ultrazoom :-)

• ORLY? Parfocal from end to end?

• ORLY? Parfocal from end to end?

It is quite unique thing :-) Hence AT-X moniker of top Tokina lenses.

• That's good.

I tried Canon 24-105 f/4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 16-35 2.8, 100-400. All L lenses. None were parfocal.

• I've owned two copies of the 14-45mm and both were horrible for zooming. It's nice that they don't have lens creep though unlike the 45-200mm.

• I have a 14-45 and the quality of the image is super. Great lens. I bought mine new and it always was a bit sticky, and it also has loosened up just a bit.

• My experience is the same as @DrDave. My 14-45 is superb images and the zoom has become smoother with use... Al

• 14-42 is jerkier