Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Review of Beginner's Rig from Deals
  • I just received the $109 Beginner's Rig that I ordered from the weekend catchit deals here on personal-view.com. It's a basic shoulder rig. First off, the construction is pretty damn solid. Everything is sturdy and the knobs twist well and hold everything tightly. Handle pads are good. Shoulder pad good as well. Only takes 5 minutes to assemble - very easy. Shipping was pretty quick from China - around 10-15 days as promised. Didn't hear from shipper after 3 days, so emailed and got a very quick response with a USPS tracking number.

The rest of what I have to say is probably influenced by fact that I've never used a shoulder rig. I was able to get some pretty stable stationary shots at times, but sometimes they weren't the most stable. That's probably me not getting used to the rig yet. I did get some beautifully smooth panning and tilting shots, and was able to get those consistently. I have one of those cheap $15 dollar "matte box"/shades, and it fit right onto the rails. But that made me have to push the camera closer to my eye, so it felt too close to see LCD properly. So I actually slid the shoulder pad back, and slightly off the rails (1/3 off, 2/3 on), and all seemed good. If I go with this as a working solution, a bit of tape on pad to rails to ensure no pad slippage should work just fine. I also did some shots walking with the rig, and got mixed results, but that's probably just me not walking properly...and I suppose a stabilizer is really the correct tool for handheld walking shots (or proper dolly/track setup).

Bottom line - if you want a solidly constructed shoulder rig and really don't want to be paying a lot of money, I would definitely recommend this, and at $109 including shipping, it's a pretty damn good deal. @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks for this deal. That's 2 for 2 with the deals. (Also ordered the 312AS LED lights and they are great)

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • Rather than start a new topic, I'll just add to what Matt already posted. I just received the same $109 Beginners Rig that Vitaliy offers thru the catchit deals. It took exactly two weeks, and the packaging and padding was excellent, with everything taped up and wrapped nicely. The fit and finish is exceptionally good, particularly for something called a Beginners Rig. I can see this being the basis of a more complex rig as I expand, and all the hardware will be useful down the road. Hey, what can I say - it's an awesome deal, and I'm very pleased and feel like I got my money's worth - something unusual these days, and worth complementing Vitaliy (and R.J.) on a job well done. I strongly suspect I will be purchasing other accessories directly as a result of how nicely this has turned out.