Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Noise assistance.
  • Hi,

I've been having great fun using my GH2 with both a nikon 50mm f1.8 and Zenitar 50mm f1.7 (got it from a charity shop for £5). However I'm picking up an unpleasant amount of video noise and I'd be interested in which setting be it physical or on camera that has the biggest effect on the noise so I can target that aspect to reduce it the most.

.: I'm using the lenses at either f1.7 orf1.8 but the results are much the same as one would expect.

.: The camera is set at ISO 320

.: I'm using a cheapo video light 1m to the left of the camera (This is as bright as possible as I don't want to distract the musician or audience too much)

.: The lighting of the actual room is fairly bright (A well lit coffee shop)

.: The camera is a GH2 with Cake 2.2 66Mbps Hack

.: Shutter speed is 25 and I'm filming at 1080/24p

And here is a screenshot of a typical shoot at one of the music nights, please let me know if a video clip would be more useful and I will cut some out and upload it.

Thanks for any help, Max.

noise.png
    1366 x 768 - 2M
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Oh, That's good to know but really not great on Panasonic's side. Do you think it will greatly reduce the noise if I set the ISO as it has been suggested on that topic?

I hope it does because I'm sure the footage should look better.

Thanks for your response, Max.

• finding information regarding the iso-bug in the forums can be a bit confusing, so here's one more :-) http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1299-gh2-iso-tests-rethinking-the-iso-bug-iso-320-cleaner-than-iso-160/

• @manstok

You are absolutely incorrect with your claim.

Enter "gh2 noise iso" and all top results point to proper topics.

• Okay so please correct me if I'm wrong as it wouldn't be great if I went away with the wrong info.

It appears that I should be shooting at ISO 640 down from 800 each time I shoot to get the best picture. This also means I can close the aperture a bit and get a slightly deeper depth of field as I'm shooting fully manual.

Otherwise I should leave all the settings as they are?

Thanks again everyone!