Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Help me to understand that mike to get
  • Hello

i have recently watched the luminous landscapes video tutorial (dslr) i am a little confused as to which type of sound mic i should purchase? if it is at all needed for the purpose of video making ,there are some rode mics on ebay, are these a good choice for a newbie. any advice would be appreciated regards paul.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • @Lumens

Can you use normal sentences formatting and punctuation, format it in paragraphs, as it is almost impossible to read?

• "Purpose" depends on what kind of videos you're planning to make. I can say though; that usually the types of video guys that use on-camera mics... well, when it comes to a big project, the best decision they can make is to hire an equipped sound guy.

If you're just making run-n-gun web videos where the camera will be right in front of the talent, then the rode cam mic solution may work for you.

• In order to recommend something, we should at least know what kind of projects you want to do.

It's not the same for interviews or corporative videos, than short movies. Also not the same for videoclips, as no sound is usually needed (unless it's a short movie kind of videoclip) ^^ . It also depends on your own: if you're a guy with knowledge, you start taking things other level in pricing and quality. So in order to have sound on a short movie you can record with a simple Rode NTG-2, and try to make your best, or hire a sound guy, with a proper recorder and rent micS.

I personally try to follow this approach:

Short movies: If intentions are to lose money, but send it to festivals, hire and renting. Yet you lose money, but not as much as if you needed to buy the stuff (as good sound in short movies can get complex). If its web intended, no projection, just make friends. That's what I do personally, it's hiring for free, as I'm not earning money and neither does my sound guy. BUT, I'm from Spain, here things are tough so a lot of people just like working for free in this sector, just as I do.

Interviews, weddings, non-fiction stuff: usually this is much less pain for sound recording. Though it would be best to have a sound guy, it implies costs getting higher, so my experience is that getting a mic and a recorder might in long term be better. But that's market talking, as here low-profile sound is pretty much accepted as long as costs are as low as possible.

So...are you just trying to get some environmental sound? Is it for people? How many people? Fiction or not? Is winning money something you care, or is it a blind investment?

I personally would recommend to really understand your needs, and what sound stuff can and cannot do prior to making any purchase. Here at personal view, under sound category, there's a lot of understandable stuff.

• yes camera will definitely will be in front of subject talent etc ,a sort of one man band ?

the luminous landscape video implied that the best sound is produced by external mics and how critical sound is to the video , important as the video picture quality .

how much of an improvment is the rode over gh3 built in mic . also will this drain the gh3 battery?

i am going to shoot video for friends you know the type youtube vimeo,blueray dvd non comercial and really dont know the best way to go about video making sort of got the gear no idea type .

video more for memories of the trip vaction

• I can't really tell you how much of an improvement there might be, but it's there and it's noticeable. Built in mics are shitty, gotta accept that. No battery draining as if you want to use GH3's line in you NEED a self powered mic (which Rode NTG-2 is).

There's some limitations recording internally, but it would be an obvious improvement over stock. Anyway, I can get a feeling that you are overthinking a lot, a tool is just a tool, you gotta learn how to use them. As said before, I'd recommend much more reading and learning on sound.

Oh, and please, new keyboard, hands or English lessons. Or less pot (just kidding, though some people really do talk like that when they're high). No personal offense intended but it's freaking hard to understand you...

• If you don't have a Zoom H2N, then you are missing five mics and 24 bit audio for no particular reason.

• Sorry about the poor English its just that I have gotten into bad habits with phone texting etc.

Probably the only time I type anything now

Regards