Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cameras used by Sundance filmmakers
  • The following article contains a list of the cameras used by the filmmakers featured at Sundance.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/from-arri-alexa-to-sony-hvr-what-the-2013-sundance-filmmakers-shot-on

Interesting to see the usual suspects, plus a few surprises. Two AF100s, but no GH2.

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • Good observation - most people participating in Sundance will get only participation. And at same time huge number of people work every day and getting their money making weddings, documentaries, advertisments. I think it is direction personal-view.com must go. Not into "I wanna be" land with zero perspectives.

• The excuse today isnt the camera, its bringing a story to the screen, although there are others things like the budget, but with current technologies can make a movie like 'Rear Window' with a camera for less than U$1000.

@itimjim, the article isnt complete.

• Good Lord, lots of 7d on there. Ugh.

• This feature film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival and has been in the festival circuit lately. It was shot with two hacked GH2's.

http://picturedaythemovie.snitchpictures.com/#

• @jleo, I was watching the trailer pf 'Picture Day' and looks great. Any idea of the optics used as edited? Although this is not likely to disctuir thread about it, but am curious.

• @Manu4Vendetta

Ryan Glover, the 2nd unit DP says:

"Our DP was Celiana Cárdenas, AMC and we shot the film on two GH2’s, which I hacked with cbrandin’s 44M patch. For lenses, we used a set of RED Pro Primes and a Duclos Tokina 11-16PL.

• @jleo, thanks. It's amazing that almost no noise is heard and the black is very clean. I think Ryan Glover shot 'Green Hills' with a hacked GH1.

• Just realized the star of Picture Day, shot with 2 GH2's is the same star as BBC America's Orphan Black series....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/orphan-blacks-tatiana-maslany-emmys-570175

• That movie looks stupid though... don't care what it was shot on. Girl's a dumb slut and thinks her "emotions" justify it. More of the same indie-teen crap.

Most likely only getting publicity and showings since it was made from a "feminist" perspective and other such crap. I swear the first thing film festivals do these days is look through the submissions and throw away anything made by a white-Euro male.

• Sorry, OT: Picture Day looks pretty promising to me. I don't know @bwhitz, the term "slut" is kind of a loaded word. If the main character was a male, would you call him a "dumb slut" that thinks his "emotions" justify it? I don't necessarily promote promiscuity, but if someone in their youth (either male or female), decides to sow some of their wild oats, I wouldn't castigate them so quickly. A big part of growing up is experiencing new things, making mistakes, and learning life lessons from them--you know, kind of like the formula for almost any coming of age film. Everyone makes mistakes in their youth. Some of those mistakes make for the most interesting stories. That's the potential I see in Picture Day. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, no one opinion being more right than another.

@Jleo - Great GH2 movie find!

• Not a single GH camera in there.

• The GH2 commercial starts @ 14:00 and check out the credits:

I remember watching some of Ryan Glover's early GH13 tests. He has come a long way: https://vimeo.com/ryancglover/videos/page:3/sort:date congrats to him!

• Why was the Picture Day trailer shot interlaced? Ouch.

• If the main character was a male, would you call him a "dumb slut" that thinks his "emotions" justify it?

Maybe... depends on how it's portrayed. But generally, there is a double-standard for a reason. For example an attractive female could literally sleep with every male at her high-school... without any difficulty. For a male of equal attractiveness (or more), to even bed 2 or 3 females, would be an accomplishment. It's nobody "fault" and it's certainly not "society"... it's just how our gender roles work. Males are the pursuers, females are the selectors. That's where the double-standard comes from. To claim "it's all a social construct", and therefore anything goes... is to go back to a very animalstic "r-type" environment and regress society.

A big part of growing up is experiencing new things, making mistakes, and learning life lessons from them--you know, kind of like the formula for almost any coming of age film.

Oh I agree. But I've seen it done very well... even "Juno" was a decent example of this from a female perspective. This movie just seems like it's being done in bad-tase. It gives off a very vindictive tone... almost intentionally...

But yea, it's all entertainment. I would certainly never tell somebody they're "wrong" for liking a certain kind of film. But the selections coming out of these festivals lately have all been very "agenda-y"...

• I'm still infantile, so I absolutely hate "coming of age" movies. Nevertheless, I offered it as an example of a commercially produced movie that was in the distribution pipeline, shot on a GH2!

• @bwhitz - Fair enough, and valid points! :)

@jleo - Enjoy being infantile; you'll miss it more and more as you creep closer to, and beyond 30 :)

• AF100 is there again :)