Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Century anamorphic lens, how to get better image quality.
  • Alot of peoples are using the Century anamorphic lens also refer to as Century 16:9 ratio converter. So, I thought I share a little discovery that can help you get better image quality out of this lens. The Century anamorphic lens in my opion has better center sharpness than the La7200. It is lighter, smaller, and has better build quality. What is so interesting about this lens is that it is one of the very few anamorphic lens that allows you to use with wide angle lens of 30mm or less. It has a stretch factor of 1.33x. Making it very ideal for cameras that has 16:9 censors. It one major draw back is the blurry edge. The blurry edge kind of kills everything so great about this lens. Although, not much of a problem if you film indoor and work your scenes. Sometime the blurry edge can enhance the shallow depth of field. So, how do we overcome this flaw? To overcome this problem, I have discover that if you attach a +1 diopter in front of the Century, the blurry edge are gone. Now, you can focus the image as close as 1.5 feet. Infinity focus is not being affect at all! I guess the original design is for a small censor size camera and the +1 diopter seem to fix all the problems. Now the Century is back in the game for me and hopefully it will for you too! I hope everyone found this article helpful and please share your though and comments.

• 37 Replies sorted by
  • The best way to avoid the edge aberrations is to choose a taking lens that doesnt use the edges of the Century.

People seem to think that the limiting factor of the Century and LA7200 is the point where you see vignette. This is not the case. It may be with Sankors, Iscoramas and Kowas, but not the 16:9 converters types. In order to get low CA use a longer focal length. assuming a 28mm vignettes on aps-c then choose a 35mm or 40mm and cut away the edge nastiness all together.

Using a +0.4 achromatic diopter allows infinity focus and cleans up overall sharpness and CA, but no diopter will sort out CA and distortion at the edges caused by use of too wider taking lens.

• I'm using the century with the kit 14-42mm and with the +1 diopter, I can say that edge sharpness increase dramatically. The Century lens doesn't work well with lenses greater than 35mm. It gets blurrier as you increase your lens' focal length.

• Assumptions made about what is and isn't doable with a Century Optics are as tied to the quality of the taking lens optic as well as the individual performance of the specific Century Optic being used. Same as any lens. Just look at comparisons of similar focal length within the same manufacturer on sites like Ken Rockwell.

A 28mm is not a 28mm is not a 28mm and the quality at center and edge is not consistent or sometimes good at all. That's before throwing another thick-ass piece of glass on the front pulling gymnastics and understanding these (particularly older) stills 35mm lenses weren't designed to be good at big stops, like most dslr filmmakers, especially the kooky anamorphic guys, like to shoot.

If there's enough variation in color, contrast, sharpness and edge performance in Panavision glass that world class DPs track serial numbers and/or build+purchase sets of optics from Cooke, Zeiss, etc. so that they have lenses that they know they can depend on (they don't just to to the rental house and say, "what'ya got?") then I'm not going to fault the little Century adapter.

Many of Rich's bad experiences with his, coloring his impression of them as a whole, have been countered by my own adapter and other material I've seen online (because I certainly don't think I'm the special little snowflake that has the one-and-only good one out there, however lucky I got with my selection).

edit: check out one of the most recent anamorphic, big screen, future classics that is Django Unchained. I had to chuckle a little to myself, in light of this back-and-forth Rich and I have had here and there on "what is wide?" "what is too wide?" and "what is too wide for the Century Optics?". During the final act, in the really dim interior lighting at Candy Land, you can detect both CA and softness at the edge of frame (that isn't due to the panty they hung on the lens), if you're so inclined to look for it.

;)

• @BurnetRhoades good point. Was recently watching The Mission, which won an Academy Award for cinematography and was shot on Cooke Itals, and I noticed several scenes with visible blur on the edge of the frame that reminded me nothing so much of a couple of shots from my LA7200.

• @kellar42 Yeah, in a moving image a little bit of these issues at the edge of frame aren't the end of the world. Sometimes it's not even a bad thing. I just started, finally, un-boxing some of my books and magazines after moving this last summer and came across an article in an old issue of American Cinematographer where one of my favorite DPs says as much. I'll have to go look at who it was again but I think it might have been Jeff Cronenweth, but I'm not sure since he's mostly shot S35 for Fincher.

Every time I get to thinking S35 is boring to look at, I have to remember what he and Savides did with Fincher in the format.

Anyway, I can understand certain types of projects requiring purely clinical lenses that never call attention to their presence at all...rectilinear, super-multi-coated, solid air devices that bend light in a thoroughly business-like manner. And that's fine. For some other guy :D

• On the wide angle tip, here's some footage that I reference myself as making a pretty decent argument against limiting yourself to 24-28mm and above as your base wide-angle lens with these adapters. The Century is only 1.33x so, as long as you're not starting out with a fish-eye, you're going to reach vignette before you get anywhere near distortion or FOV that's anything but pleasing and consistent with what you see employed in film for true wides.

Agreed, there is visible CA in these stills, which I took from a re-render of some of the first anamorphic imagery I ever shot (WekFest Austin, Summer 2012). But I don't find it horribly ugly and I've seen similar levels in Super-35mm laser scans for $100M+ films. I'd sometimes have to analyze these sorts of optical issues so that I could properly marry digital effects elements to the frame and make it look like a whole. They aren't worth cursing over unless you're having to pull a green screen key.

This is using the nominal 14-42mm kit lens and no diopter @ 18mm. I'd bought my Tokina from Redstan before ever pulling the trigger on a Century Optics, to make sure I had one, but I wanted to test the limits of my lens combos without it so that I could adequately judge its value.

These stills are not only using the much pooped upon kit lens (since I hadn't received my F-to-M34 yet), they represent un-hacked GH2 footage. Like the doublet decision, I wanted to get familiar with my camera and see what it could do, and how it compared to the 7D I used to shoot Sick Boy before experiencing any of the patches.

I decided to go back to this old project file, transcode all the source clips with 5DtoRGB and give my new copy of ColorGHear (@shian) a whirl to see what I could do to enhance the colors and remove some of the haze that I felt in the original from the bad lighting at the show.

Anyway, my perspective is admittedly a narrow one and mostly influenced by my interest in anamorphics for future narrative and documentary work. I don't really care what is or isn't good enough or consistent with stills photography standards or wedding videos or industrials or fashion. The folks that have to make their purchasing and/or creative decisions based on their own specific needs needn't worry about mine either and do what they gotta do.

WekFestCGstill01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    WekFestCGstill02.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    WekFestCGstill03.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    WekFestCGstill04.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    WekFestCGstill05.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    WekFestCGstill08.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Good stuff. If I recall you've got some good posts along these lines in the thread about what we'd like to see from SLRMagic as well. Perhaps we can consolidate this stuff into some kind of anamorphic topic.

I agree on not being scared of wide angles. Wide apertures either, for that matter. Here, the 20mm at 1.7 with a LA7200 on the front, GH2 FlowMotion:

Screen Shot 2012-10-30 at 10.00.52 PM.png
    2556 x 1096 - 4M
  • Yeah, I'd seen other 20mm Lumix pancake footage used as a taking lens that looked good and unexpectedly good even at wide open, something my 35mm Nikkor can't pull off without getting "dreamy" at f/1.4. That Lumix lens is so small and the glass as well by comparison to your average SLR lens. The size of the optics themselves must allow for overall better performance at the edges, like the classic 8mm and 16mm anamorphics.

I haven't picked one up yet wanting to get a chance to try out a 17.5mm Nokton to see if that picked up the edges on my Century Optics, though now, with that Metabones adapter on the horizon, it's going to be harder for me to pull the trigger on any super-specialized, super-expensive M43 lens because if I'm not shooting anamorphic it's going to be through a Metabones.

• Here is a puzzle for us @BurnetRhoades . I purchased an Nex5n this week to always have something for photos with me at all times. Because this blew my GH3 budget for the moment and could use the 1080 60p overcrank sometimes, as well as just for fun, I found a box of step-up rings at the local photo shot and outfitted the thing to take my LA7200.

First weird happening...Sony 16mm 2.8 Pancake on an APS-C sensor, no vingeting of any kind of the LA7200. That isn't supposed to happen, right? Second weird thing...this shot below is maybe 18 inches from the lens, tops? Just a grab and the hand is moving, but the point is, I can get sharp focus at that distance. I do that on the GH2 and I get the weird blurry smear of an attempt at Close focus without a diopter. What the hell is going on?

Only two theories right now...something with the Sony pancake is magical, or, the only box of step up rings in the country is fairly limited and in order to make it work I had to go 49-48, 48-55, 55-62, 62-77 (I have a 72-77 permanently on the back of the LA7200). I'm not optical expert, could this little cone putting about an inch between the lens and adapter mean anything? Has infinity no problem.

Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 9.16.55 AM.png
    2873 x 1233 - 4M
    Photo on 2-3-13 at 9.30 AM.jpg
    1080 x 720 - 110K
  • @kellar42 I do think these pancake lenses, stuff I've seen with the Lumix 20mm as well, throw a lot of the conventional expectations out the window. I don't pretend to understand the nitty or the gritty, but their front element being smaller than, and actually able to take in all of the back element of, these anamorphics is my guess.

Even though they're kinda flavorless, as modern lenses are intended, they might actually have an unexplored advantage over glass folks would otherwise choose to work with these adapters.

I really dig your cone of step-up-rings. Space between the front element of the taking lens and the back element of the animorphic wouldn't be a good thing I would think but Iove it when someone proves you can't always depend on conventional thinking when you're using items in unconventional ways.

• @kellar42 Yeaahh

IMG_1236.JPG
    1195 x 1600 - 533K
  • Hmm, @BurnetRhoades I know we spoke about the Lumix 20 earlier in the thread, but I have had, other, full frame lenses do ok at wide apertures so I wasn't positive that was it, and after a little testing I'm still in a quandary although 'small glass' might definitely be part of it, for the reasons you mention, I guess.

And @maximizer, looking good, but do you notice a difference when using all these step up rings?

Below we have a few shots, none are done scientifically and now that I see them on the big screen I was probably a hair closer than I would be in real life on all of them as they're on the edge of focus. That said, we have:

1.) NEX5n, 16mm 2.8 Sony e mount pancake with no less than 5 step up and down rings to get to the LA7200. Focuses six inches from the bag.

2.) NEX5n, Kit Zoom at widest it'll go without vingetting (20-22mm) same five step up rings. Had to come back a hair to find focus but still 8-12" and on the countertop.

3.) GH2 and Nikon AIS 35mm F2, four step up rings. Had to get 5-6 back, as 'usual'.

4.) GH2 and Lumix Pancake, 3 step up rings (I don't have any combinations to try more), not great in the shot here, but surprised me by how close I can get, maybe a foot, which is close enough. Did I just not notice before? Certainly not possible on the lumix kit zoom.

What's going on? Well, apparently the 'rules' of the LA7200 aren't rules, first off. Next, something with pancakes, modern glass? Or is it just the wider you can go, the closer you can go? After all the 16mm on an APS-C sensor gives us something like a 19mm horizontal field of view with the LA7200 which is wider than anything else I've tried, and it gets the closest.

At any rate I hadn't 'noticed' close-focus with my pancake on the GH2, first step is to try shooting some close-ups that I had been doing without the adapter and cropping in post, out in the field. Next I suppose would be to see how much worse the video quality of the 5N is and try some close-ups on it. Lastly I need to get more step up rings to be able to experiment and remove that as a variable.

On the side note that BurnetRhoades brings up, I'm the guy sitting in a pile of FDs, AIS lens, buys Rokinons for still photography, etc. I like manual stuff and old lenses. Once the LA7200 entered my life, however, I have not turned my nose up at the Lumixes, Sonys, whatever works, as they gain plenty of organic character with the anamorphic and, it turns out, have quite a few advantages. (Sometimes exposure, lightning fast autofocus, again, whatever works.)

Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 3.53.58 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 3.54.39 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 3.58.26 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 3.59.38 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
  • @kellar42 Oh, it's not so much the doing well at wide apertures, though that's nice, it's doing so at wide apertures and such wide angles for taking. Getting that close to seeing the edges of the anamorphic adapter and still having good image quality.

My Nikkors, most of them at least, have CRC which lets me get pretty close but not as close as you're getting. Not even with my Tokina doublet. I need to get me a set of Hoyas or the like for stronger close-up kung fu.

• Nice color on the yellow honda.

• @DrDave thanks, when I saw that color emerge I knew I was going to have fun with this new tool. The red freakazoid RX7 with the 2JZ transplant came out good too.

More subtle than the eye popping paint jobs, I was really happy to see how it affected really subtle details like being able to see finger prints in the polished aluminum pieces on wheels (see the CU on that white S2000) and in engine bays. The psychedelic window stickers really like that spectral enhancer as well.

• Oh, oops, I thought I was posting that to the ColorGHear discussion, lol.

• Anybody tried the Century with the Panny 14mm 2.5 ?

• Just a hunch, but I'm guessing it's going to vignette. It'd be worth trying with an LA7200 though, maybe, the 14mm having such a tiny front element, maybe it might work. Just looking at the picture it seems quite a bit smaller than the rear element of the Century. My 14-42mm starts to vignette below about 18mm but even its, smallish front element, appears noticeably larger than the 14mm pancake prime.

You peaked my interest.

• Had vignette on the 20 1.7

• @soundgh2 I'm betting that's from however you're adapting it to your taking lens. I've seen multiple videos of folks with the 20mm and no vignette at all. It's also, like the 14mm, got a smaller front lens element than my 14-42mm kit zoom and I can go to 18mm wide with that one.

...ah, here's a guy with the 14mm 2.5 and the Century working. It doesn't say anywhere that he had a diopter. For certain types of shots the extreme BD would be pretty cool.

• I've got no Vignette on the 20 1.7 with the LA7200 (just posted a video in the Driftwood settings thread only with 20 1.7), and I understand the 14mm (as well as the Olympus 12) to work as well.

• @BurnetRhoades was a super slim step down to 46mm straight on the front - its very slight but was there - dont have the Century anymore or the 20 so cant have another look - used a Tokina 0.4 on the front which worked well with one of RedStans front clamps improved the quality a lot.

• I've got one of the last new 37mm Century Optic adapters and I believe I can put it on the 14mm pancake without vingetting, but I'm not sure. Also I believe it will vignette with the stock 14-42mm. I'll check later tonight. EDIT: Got delayed and now I can't find my adapters to mount the lens to either the pancake or the kit lens.

Even with a plus 1 diopter the corners are a bit soft. One thing I've always wanted to try is to mount it on a cctv or c mount lens. With the GH2s ETC you can zoom past the blurry edges. And it might work with some of those ultra wide fast c mount lenses. I've done it with the 14mm pancake, but I don't have any c mount lenses.

Does anybody have a 12mm or wider c mount and a century optic adapter to try it out?

• I'll try handheld, I have a 10mm Kern Switar but no rings for the Century yet (just got it lended to me).

Could you try the 14mm 2.5 for me, please?