Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cheap M43 Adaptors
  • One of the things I looked forward to with the recent purchase of a GH2 was the ability to use some Leica M and Nikon AI lenses I haven't used for years (better make that a couple of decades). M43 adaptors are readily available but vary in price from $7 to $275. I was happy to buy at the very cheap end and see what they and the results were like. Of the adaptors I bought, one Nikon would not fit the camera but on advising the Chinese supplier, he immediately refunded the $15 - so I spent the refund and more with him. Of two for the 'M' lenses, body side was fine but on the lens side one was way too tight and the other too loose. Both had three machined 'cuts' in the mounts that applied the tension. Simple to pull apart by removing four screws, on one I opened the slots using a pen knife blade and on the other, just pressing the soft metal with a hard tool eased the fit. One of these mounts was fitted with shims to adjust 'infinity' setting which I thought was a nice touch.

The Leica lenses now fit well and I'm able to remove the camera side to change lenses which is convenient because it's the same for changing Pana, Leica or Nikon lenses. At $10-$15 each these do the job and are left on the lens so should be fine for years with amateur use. Actual machining and finish is surprisingly good though I'd rather see the GH2 side left as bare metal rather than painted even if the paint does look better. Obviously some tolerance issues but for the price this is not unreasonable and when all said and done, it's just a spacer. Average cost of each adaptor $12 including postage - being able to use these treasured lenses again – priceless!

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks.

May be call it "Leica M to m43 adapters", as we try to avoid general topics here as much as we can.

Also, may be add some photo and ebay link?

• Hi Vitaliy, please feel free to change the topic. I'm still trying to find my way around this site and how to use it - it's quite overwhelming! Photo attached of 'M' adaptors. I've used different suppliers and they appear to be from different manufacturers but very similar design and materials. I currently have another on order from 'weakpotoman' who has a good range and has been good with price and delivery to date - < http://stores.ebay.com/weakpotoman >