Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lenses to achieve Cinematic/Filmic look on m43
  • This topic was inspired from another discussion here, where @feha suggested that achieving that "Holy Grail" filmic look depends a lot also on the choice of lenses. @endotoxic went on list his favourite Takumar lenses achieve that much desired filmic look on GH1.

So I invite you all to list your favorite lenses that have helped you to achieve that filmic look on GH1, GH2 and GH3.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry, I find I now deconstruct the images I see in 2013 much better than I did last year.

In a small city, 1/3 of our TV ads are shot on DSLR and, well, you get used to everybody trying to look like film. I guess they can't fool all the people all the time :-(

The director of a film (released last year at Sydney Film Festival but only televised last week) was explaining to me during shooting that his DOP had a case-full of old but still expensive Cooke cinema lenses to give the movie/doco a film look for the dramatic scenes.

I agree you need a different look for mixed doco/reconstruction genres. But I no longer think lenses alone are going to cut the mustard if you want it to look like film - or even cinematic (a vague term; before here I'd never heard it used in reference to actual films before, only books or theatre or paintings!).

Yep, the Cooke lenses did indeed impart a softer look to the massacre scenes in this excellent, long-overdue and unforgettable documentary. The shots showing actors' rehearsals were a clever technique to transition the viewer's suspense of disbelief into the dramatic sequences.

But to me images are not cinematic.

Take a look yourself:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2224121/

http://coniston.pawmedia.com.au/the-documentary/directors-statement--david-batty

Full-length movie (1 hour, 285MB) HERE Viewable on ABC iView until 28 Jan 2013

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Sorry, wrong topic, as you say above - please delete this post not the post above. I moved this post to http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/107367#Comment_107367

• @goanna, thanks for link, just watched it, unforgettable.

• Personally I like the Lomo square-front anamorphic look, and even in spherical optics I think there is beginning to be a consensus that current cameras and lenses have all the resolution we need and perhaps more, lots and lots of people are using "character" vintage glass like Lomos and Super Baltars, and. . .yes, diffusion. I used Leica R lenses for about a year, tried Contax Zeiss and Zeiss Jena m42, after testing and shooting with them I ended up going back to Canon FL/FD. I am currently on the lookout for a late Angenieux 20-120 or if my ship comes in a Cooke 20-100. I hate to say it but the 4k thing is really influencing all my gear acquisitions at the moment.