Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Help Finding a Hack
  • Hi, I'm New to the GH2, and i would like to try the hacking process. i've tried the cake 2.3 and it's nice, but i think it has more noise than the original firmware. i see lot's of newer hacks with different matrix and i don't really understand what it means. can someone explaine to me about the new hacks. or give me a link to a thread about it. and can you recommend me a good hack with around 80mbps that would'nt have too much noise and have good quality.

thanks in advance emy

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • You are seeing more noise because the encoder is more accurately representing what comes from the sensor. All of the high quality encoder hacks do this. Stock settings have less noise because the noise gets compressed away. But that's not the ideal way to get rid of noise, because the encoder isn't so good at knowing what is noise and what is detail. It's just trading sensor noise for compression noise, and compression noise usually looks worse.

None of the hacks can do any noise reduction. If you want less noise, you need to use a lower ISO setting, or apply some noise reduction in software post processing.

• @emynach, I recommend you try one of @bkmcwd settings that he has available; there are a few to choose from and are really stable. Here's the link to the thread cheers. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5385/gh2-all-round-gop3-settings-series-2-an-valkyrie-golgop3-13-gop3zilla-natural-/p1

• first, thank you balazer, now i understand about the noise. abraham1307, i will look further about these hacks, do you recommend any one of the specificly? i'm not sure i understand the differneces between them... what does the AQ means?

thank you for the reply

• Just a little more information, i study cinema and i would like to capture footage for this purpose (class excercises)... It's important for me that the hack will be stable... Thanks in advance Emy

• Try out GOLGOP3-13

• @emynach If stability is a must, then I would recommend FlowMotion 2.02. It's a rock solid patch with excellent quality plus it offers in-camera playback. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2-100mbps-fast-action-performance-reliability-for-class-10-sd-cards

• Ok, thanks i will try them. just to make sure, i don't really understand much how the hack works. so does using a hack like the flowmotion 100mbps is dangerous to the camera? can it kill it? you see this camera is really important for me...:) (i know nothing is 100% sure, but after more than a year of the hacks around, what do you think?)

thank you very much for the help emy

• @emynach, Yes these hacks are 100% safe to use and no it won't kill your camera my friend. You really can't go wrong with any of the newer hacks that are out now because they all produce beautiful images, are really reliable, and have in camera playback depending on which one you use.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions