Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 STROBES IN "HBR" OR "CINEMA24" MODE
  • Hello everybody, I recently bought a GH2 (2-3 weeks ago-my first camera so I don't have many experience), I see that every body around here are so happy with it but unfortunately I'm not so much... My main issue is that I can't shoot videos in "hbr" or "cinema24p" a PAN view or to do any moves at all without having STROBES.... I found out a temporary solution for that... I'm shooting in "SH" (720P 60P) but the quality got worse... I saw many conversations about that but to tell you the truth didn't understand if that can be fixed or not... many people said that they have same problem no matter what patch they installed.... Can anybody SUMMERIZE this issue somehow??? even if this camera can't make it without strobes in high quality mode like HBR or CINEMA24p..... I'll count it as an answer.... cause I got so tired of all the experiments so far..... Thanks in advance. :-)

• 25 Replies sorted by
  • What's your shutter speed?

Can you post a clip/picture of the problem?

• I tried in various modes of 50,60,80.100,200... in sunny days ISO was set even to 2000 sometimes cause I saw a white screen in less iso... strange.. seems that nothing help to improve it... the files r big.. how can I share something with you? I'll be happy to do it..

• 24P is not the cause of the "strobbing". This usually arises on higher shutter speeds. 1/50, 1/60 and so on, will always have a bit of strobbing or choppiness to it.

Try shooting something with your shutter set to 1/40.

• ok, I'll try it with 1/40, but what about ISO or Aperture? (if we are talking about sunny day with lot of light)

• If you're in PAL land, shoot at 50fps. Keep your iso low, but watch out for the well documented iso bug. Whatever lens you're shooting with, try to avoid shooting at anything smaller than fstop 8 - you'll probably want a set of ND filters if you're shooting outside to cut down the amount of light coming thru the lens. Then check for strobing - you may be importing the footage oddly into your nle

• I assume by "strobes" you mean strobing caused by slow frame rate, fast shutter and high pan speed. I have a niece who did her university degree in digital media - they shot 24 fps at 1/24th of a sec or 1/48th of a sec. For us that might mean 1/30th of a second and 1/50th or 1/60th. Sometimes the goal was to blur the images slightly when panning as our brain will see the blur and reduce the choppiness - so they would use a 1/24th or 1/30th shutter speed on their gear.

A fast shutter speed and / or a fast pan speed will both increase the strobing effect on all cameras. Most people pan too fast.

If you want to later use Twixtor to interpolate slow motion frames - or if you want apply image stabilization in post production - a sharper image (faster shutter speed) works better.

Another idea comes from a friend that likes to shoot 720p/60 and then afterwards, his software has a "blend" mode that blends pairs of frames to create a 30 fps sequence. He likes the blended/slightly blurred look that this creates. And it gives him the option of both sharp and blurred look from the original video.

• There's a table of recommended pan rates

FOCAL LENGTH / 24P PAN SPEED / 30P PAN SPEED
    4.5mm / 15 seconds / 11 seconds
    6mm / 18 seconds / 14 seconds
    7mm / 21 seconds / 16 seconds
    8mm / 23 seconds / 20 seconds
    12mm / 36 seconds / 27 seconds
    14mm / 50 seconds / 38 seconds
    16.5mm / 60 seconds / 45 seconds
    25mm / 80 seconds / 60 seconds
    30mm / 90 seconds / 75 seconds
    45mm / 120 seconds / 120 seconds

it offers suggested pan rates for various lens focal lengths. I think those are 16mm film lenses though :)

• thank u all for the advises.. I'll check this advises if it works for me and come back with the answers.... Im shooting with kin lens 14-42 without ND filter... if you have more suggestions pls write it.... ;)

• We have various topic about strobing, etc :-)

• What is the most common patch that can assist with smoother PAN shooting? tnx.

• mrbill - Fstop 8 it's like 8? cause it's going 3.5, 4,4.5,5.6,6.3,7.1 & then 8. this is what u meant?

• @rrivkin

Patch can't "assist with smoother PAN shooting".

Please read the topics first.

• The 'strobe' you're seeing is just the nature of 24p / 25p. No mystery to be solved. Shoot with 30p if you don't like it. ;)

Previously, camcorders (except high end ones) would 'blur' chroma, in a bid to reduce colour noise, making motion appear 'smoother'. It's artificial though. What the GH2 produces is most accurate because it's so clear.

• @rrivkin If you're new to cameras there's a bit of a learning curve for everyone. Here are some settings a lot of people use to get going. If the camera is at 24P (a good choice if you want to do narrative filmmaking), set the shutter speed to 1/50. Some people use 1/60, some use 1/40. (Some even use 1/30, but test these for yourself to see what you like). Those numbers you listed are the f-stops. The ISO number can be adjusted in the menu, but using 2000 might be troublesome and add some noise (moving dots) onto your video. I like to keep it at 1250 or lower in number, even at night. 1600 is the max I use.

If by strobes, you mean a "judder" type effect, that can be happening for 2 reasons. 1) If you pan your camera too quickly, this can cause this. So just pan really slow and that should minimize this effect. 2) 24P may be a bit more prone to "strobes", so you can shoot in 30P if you want. It usually produces "smoother" results.

I would try these basic settings and see if you get improvement. If you want to share the video you can post it online at vimeo.com (or YouTube.com). Then once the video is online, you can come back here to this thread discussion and copy and paste the link (website address) along with a note, so that way people can get a look at the footage to better see what you're coming up against. Most say Vimeo is better quality. But try the settings first, pan slowly, and hopefully you'll be set. GH2 is great for video. You should be getting some very nice footage in no time.

• @matt_gh2 Have you tried out 1/30th yet?

• @vicharris , u r right about most of the facts that you raised here about my knowledge... but if you'll pay attention to my question you'll understand that it's clear enough..... :

I have strobes while I'm shooting in NTSC neither HBR25p nor CINEMA24p.... I have SD 32gb class 10 95mbps. I'm talking about a clear sunny day with a lot of light and sun (for example).... WHY DO I HAVE IT??

I didn't ask you to teach me.... there r many patient people out her that gives me advises & help me to go forward...(THANK YOU ALL), if you feel that you have enough knowledge to solve my issue please be kind, do so & summarize this topic, I think it will make pleased not just me but also many others... otherwise I don't feel that your comment is useful or even inappropriate cause it's a little sucks to hear it.... sorry if I'm rude... btw, I think that I need to take an English grammar book in addition.....

• It's good to know that GH2 is indeed DSLR... I thought that it's mirrorless cam........ ok guys........ thank u so much....

• GH2 is mirrorless, but that has nothing to do with your problem.

BTW, some people tend to call this an EVIL camera ( Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) as opposed to a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex).

• @rrivkin

Check

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/general-camera-usage-faq

And return after you fully understand all things at this link

• @rrivkin and try to be a bit more polite, when people want to help you with basic stuff

• @gameb try not to stuck your nose when nobody asks your opinion... at the same opportunity get a life.. you and your nice & polite friend....

• Time to leave the forum dude.