Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Different worlds. PV forum vs. World Star Hip Hop
  • OK, so a music video that I DP'ed earlier this year was just released on 1/1/2013 on the popular web site "World Star Hip Hop."

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhw2jI4Wit937p1Sz4

I'm also posting the "official" Youtube link below for convenience, but wanted you all to see the WSHH link, specifically because of the comments in the forums. I never expected anything like the wonderful and supportive critiquing and comments we find on Personal View, regarding artistic choices and IQ comments, but the comments on the Hip Hop forum reveal a totally alien (to me) way of thinking and engaging with others. And there are pages of them; somewhat hilarious.

In case it matters, this was again a combination of my AF100 for static shots, with the GH2 in a Dicapac bag for the underwater shots. I also suspect the hit count reported by WSHH is somewhat over-inflated, compared with the (more realistic) numbers on the Youtube page.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I really wouldn't give a shit about destructive or stupid comments. One has to learn how to ignore their poisoning influence on our inspiration and enthusiasm.

I like the picture and very dynamic composition of so diversified shots and excellent perspectives. It could be, that some people have different taste regarding the colors combination of diverse shots you exchange quite fast all through the video - or way of using fading in or out (for example in the first minute), some people prefer more system there.

But that is entirely matter of taste, true? Btw, is girl's left eye (close-up, beginning) filmed by the GH2?

• Yes, I shot the girl's eye at 0:08 seconds using GH2 with Nikkor f2.8 105mm prime "Mikro" in EX mode. I have to add that although I shot much (although not all) of the footage, I wasn't responsible for editing, as I would likely have done it differently (although not necessarily "better" for the genre.)

And I agree completely about ignoring negative comments. I work with a lot of filmmakers and younger crew, and find I get the best results when I encourage rather than undermine. We're all learning, and I know just how much more I have to learn compared to some of the great people on PV.

• Well, they actually aren't even commenting on the video. THey're commenting on the song.

• Well, I like the video - and actually the song is pretty cool.

He does have SOMETHING in his sideburn though...