Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
FOLA DJEMBE - Portrait of a Djembe drum [Music/Art Video, GH2 Canis Majoris]
  • Portrait of a Djembe drum, handcrafted and played by Martin Bernhard. Djembe comes from the saying "Anke djé, anke bé" which translates to "everyone gather together in peace" and defines the drum's purpose.

Martin Bernhard is a well-established dutch Djembe drum maker, teacher and owner of foladjembe.nl

ADVICE: For best experience, turn on your HiFi speakers or put on a headphone.

Camera : Richard van Der Laan, Michiel Boogerman Sound : Maarten Boogerman Edit / Post : Richard van der Laan Artists : Martin Bernhard, Annebeth Elfrink, Marlijn Dompeling, Patrick Pol Location : Brink 21, Deventer (Netherlands) Photos : Patrick Pol Production : veasonic.nl

Camera : 2x Panasonic GH2 AVC-Intra Driftwood VY Canis Majoris Day Lens : Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 G ED, Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 AT-X PRO DX Gear : Sachtler FSB-4 75 CF, Kessler Hercules 2.0 Head, Kessler K-Pod Tripod System, Gini Follow Focus Rig, Lilliput monitors Recorder : Fostex FR-2LE Microphone : Superlux S502

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • @richardwouter, very nice work. Looks great and very clean but warm and earthy, which I think fits the subject of the film.

My father is a master drummer who makes all manner of African Instruments and I think you did a very nice job of doing the audio. It's hard to get the sound just right with Djembe. I'm also a drummer and Audio Engineer and having recorded so much I know sometimes it's a pain in the arse to get the sound of acoustic instruments just right. Getting the crisp high's of the slaps and the richness of the bass strokes as well. The crazy dynamic range of the drums as well.

Did you use a lot of compression to contain the dynamics? It sounds like you really tamed the drums a lot, just knowing how punchy they can be.

• @Aria Thanks for your feedback. It was indeed very hard to capture the audio. A friend of mine (Maarten Boogerman) is audio engineer and recorded/mastered the audio. It required some rehearsals to capture the differences in dynamics, but we are very pleased with the result.

I think djembe making is a real craftmanship. It would be a real honor to me if your father watches the film :)

-Richard

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters