Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Premiere CS6 choppy playback issues
  • Windows 7 Intel E8400 8gb ram Geforce GTX 460

I've been using Premiere CS6 (with Mercury Playback Engine enabled) and I'm getting choppy time line playback. When I start a project things normally are ok but even if I just leave it for a while and come back, a cross dissolve transition rarely plays back smoothly and even normal footage playback is choppy.

I've tried older and the latest nvidia drivers.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I've had the same problem with cs6, hopefully my ssd upgrade makes some type of improvement. I have an i7 2600k quad core processor with 16gb of ram and an NVIDIA gtx 570 graphics card running the mercury engine also.

• Get a lot more ram. Set performance for memory. Pick you fastest separate drive for a scratch disk

• Trash CS6, get Avid media composer and at least a 4-core processor. Ram is the last thing you want to upgrade. My system has an amd phenom II (6 cores), 8gb memory and same gpu as yours. Playback in Premiere CS6 lags as hell most times. BUT in Avid media composer it's solid realtime - every time and no matter what codec, on a double screen setup. The same goes for Davinci Resolve. Of course Adobe's suite has some excellent tools, but it's really inefficient when it comes to hardware.

• try restart premiere pro, and use "render entire work area" and "render audio" instead of "render effects in work area" Premiere is always more laggy than its competitor. we never use premiere pro or after effects in my production house because "we can't show the client the results in real time"

• since i got mercury playback working i must say i like premiere cs5 -6 is very fast. Its a little diffrent than edius. But think im gonna switch full time to premiere cs6

• You have a processor that as far as video is concerned is a fraction of the power of a multithreaded i7. A four core i7 will be using 8 cores (you must always get a model that has HT enabled). So you take this processor, which costs $260~$300, at a GTX 650 and 16 GB ram, and you have a machine that will absolutely fly in premier, and in real time. I can run CS6 on AMD, but nothing beats an i7 except a custom build like a twelve core server. Anyone who can't get premiere to run in real time isn't setting up the Mercury engine right. A minimal investment in hardware, even a used GT 240 for $35, will run in real time.