Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
iLok Thread / Rant / Alternative (?)
  • So I have a legitimate, registered version of pro tools 10 with my license on an iLok USB stick. I'm traveling for a few days over the holidays, and hope to finalize a sound mix on my laptop--I bring my hard drive, my nice headphones, and my alphatrack fader BUT I forgot my f##king iLok! So now I can't do any work over the next couple days. It's not worth it to report it lost, because then it looks like I have to pay another $50 for a stupid iLok stick!

Anyone have similar experiences or know of a way to get around this problem without paying for another iLok?

The whole iLok system seems very stupid!!!

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • ilok - ahh the joy - if you can find an ilok in a store/friend I've stumbled upon the fact that PT 10.0.2/3 does not recheck the ilok after you've booted into the prog - so if you dont relog/sleep you can keep using it :) Other than that Im afraid it's down the shop for another ilok and register on your ilok account and transfer your spare license to it sadly mate.

• What do you mean? Are you saying IF I had pro tools running on my laptop prior to leaving my home, closed the laptop without shutting down protools, forgotten the iLok, but then used a different iLOK when I opened my laptop it would work?

Irrespective, Avid seriously needs to ditch iLOK--it's actually making want to get a pirated version of pro tools despite the fact that I paid for it! It's so nonsensical!

• After version 11 its all Media Composer so it'll be gone by then :)

Any ilok with a PT 10 license on it will boot your pro tools - what i noticed is, I was working - popped the ilok out - opened my mac later and the session still ran without the ilok in - worked a few times before on previous versions of PT and on 10.0.2 seems to also for some reason.

• Ok that clarifies it.

What do u mean its all media composer after pt11?