Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
1 line resolution hack
  • Would it be possible to hack a camera to only record a 1 pixel horisontal line, but at a very high speed??

thx Morten

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • I doubt it, at least not in AVCHD mode. Altering the AVCHD frame size was much sought after by anamorphic junkies but sadly only the the MJPEG mode has a scalable frame size, not sure if 1 pixel height is possible though.

Why, if I may ask?

• Also not possible because AVCHD uses macroblocks, which results in a minimum height of 8 pixels when in 4:2:0 color mode.

• Maybe do it in post. Record normally, then just do something in your editor that makes everything black except that 1 pixel line

• Thanks. Its for an artsy project where the camera act as a scanner. A high framerate (at least 120fps) is needed, and I thought that it might be possible with a lower pixel count as the camera doesn't have to handle that much data. Blocks of 8 pixel would be ok, if they can be stacked horisontally... Right know it's being done in post, but without the required framerate, and with a huge amount of data! (filming several hours)

Best M

• artiswar: Mpeg would be fine, I think.

• So, I downloaded the GH2 firmware hack, and it seems I can change the MPEG resolution to 1920x240 px (yay), and there is also an experimental framerate setting. Has anyone tried lowering the pixelcount and increasing the framerate??? (I dont have a camera to test)

thanks and happy new year M

• The hardware in the GH2 will not output anything higher than 60fps.

• Thanks - also for MPEG mode? PTools has an MPEG fps option, that goes all the way up to 160 fps, with a heavy line skipping warning.

best, M

• Don't know what kind of scanner you want to do, but last year we did some 3D scanning using a beamer projecting a video with a red line going from top to bottom of the screen, and a cheap webcam with a small software to interpret the deformation of the line on the object (the soft also needed a pattern of spots on the wall behind the object to be calibrated)

Later on we did it with a kinect, and it was much, much easier

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions