Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lumix 14mm + Wide Converter vs. Tokina 11-16mm Comparison
  • I got the Tokina 11-16mm (Mark I) because I wanted a wide lens I could use on both the GH3 and BMCC (if it ever comes out). I just sold the 14mm with converter on Craigslist and I thought I should do a quick test before the dude comes and picks it up. The converter is the official Panasonic DMW-GWC1 designed for the 14mm pancake.

I did three comparisons each with the lenses at f/2.8 and f/5.6. The uncropped shots are resized, but I only wanted to demonstrate the barrel distortion and vignetting with those. There are also 100% crops of each. All shots were done with the wide converter on the 14mm (sorry, forgot label it properly), and with the Tokina at it's widest setting. I used RAW on the GH2 for all shots.

As expected, the Panny combo had worse vignetting and barrel distortion than the Tokina. The GH2 corrects the distortion for the 14mm, but it can't do anything about the wide converter. At F/2.8, the Panny combo was clearly sharper than the Tokina which had some noticeable coma. At F/5.6, the sharpness is about even in the center, but the Tokina slightly beats out the Panny combo at the edges. You can also notice the purple fringing is pretty bad on the Tokina at the edge of that white book.

2.8panny.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
    2.8tokina.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
    5.6panny.jpg
    800 x 600 - 57K
    5.6tokina.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K
    100ptcrop2.8.png
    700 x 380 - 152K
    100ptcrop5.6.png
    700 x 380 - 157K
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters