Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Best Patch for Concert/Light Show?
  • Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, very seldom poster here.

I'm shooting a piece with my GH2 that will consist of a lot of concert footage. It's an electronica show, so I am expecting lots of crazy light show effects, and of course it will be very dark with super hot highlights. I'm trying to score a set of Zeiss 1.3s for the shoot (mounted via a HotRod PL). If I can't get the Zeiss 1.3s, I will be using NIKON AI/AIs primes that are either f/2.8 or f/2.

I love Sedna C for interviews when I have tons of SD cards, and I love Flowmotion when I do not have tons of SD cards (the productions provide the SD cards so, at the end of the day, I don't have to give mine up for several days while they copy, backup the media and ingest into their suite).

I'm wondering what patch could be of specifically good use here (very dark, flashing lights, highly saturated colours) especially when it comes to having relatively "clean" shadow areas (which will be the majority of the fame). I shoot with Nostalgia, with all settings to -2, and almost always leave the WB at 5200K.

Apart from these two beauty patches (Sedna C and Flow), what patch could be a good fit for this scenario?

Thanks so much!

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • If those flashing lights are causing the entire frame to change brightness, then the higher the bit rate, the better. Otherwise, just the usual factors apply: does it span, is it reliable?

• Did you try @balazer's Cake 2.3? It is excellent, I use it very often as I also need to record long takes in the concerts. Balazer's Cake 2.3 spans on my camera just always in 24p mode with MF lenses and with Sandisk 64GB 95MB/s. Just format the card always in your camera before the recording begins. Cake has excellent IQ still with ISO 4000, you will not have to go there higher than ISO3200.

Thanks balazer, bravo!

• The gig was cancelled :(

But I am going to take a look at Cake 2.3 anyway! I do have the 64GB 95MB/s cards, they're unreal.

Thanks fellas!