Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
I need advice: I dont know if I'm crazy or obsessed
  • Im finishing a short which I have not finished because I ran out of money. The result of what I'm editing is satisfactory, but after seeing the behavior of the GH3 and low noise, improved codec and slow motion, Im thinking in want borrow money in a bank and order it the GH3. I dont live of photography or film, but filmmaking is my aspiration and wants apart of history that is importante in a short or large film a visual excellent.

I've been beating around the bush, do not know if it would be a bad decision.

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • make some savings first. If you borrow money you have to make savings for pay back too. So you better do some savings in advance and you won't be in trouble.

• Depends really! Are you in somewhat of a secure job? I thought i was and to my surprise lost my job back in April of 12 when my company went through some major restructuring and i've struggled to get consistent work ever since!!!! Hard times to say the least. Saying that if you feel secure enough places like jessops in the UK offer 12 months interest free deals so that might be something to consider if your in the UK. I would advise against it. Finish what you are working on. The GH2 is a great camera and clients wont notice the difference. Apply yourself to your art and do not let yourself be controlled by your gear. GH3 won't make you a better film maker or photographer. Maybe once you've finished your project pause and re-think. Did you make money from it? Save your money and work on the business side of things promote yourself in your area by showcasing your work and getting new clients. Try and get commercial work so you can fund your artistic work. Save your money and then make a new purchase. Treat yourself instead of getting yourself in trouble and having to sell all your stuff to pay mountain debts.

• Don't do it. GH2 is not the limiting factor in your film career. SAVE you money and hire a sound man or something. Don't do it.

• I will buy GH3... in 2014.

• Or 1" sensor camcorder. For now I'm happy with GH2.

• To answer your question, you're obsessed.

Finish the project, get it under your belt and move on to the next one :)

• @peaceonearth, @Diffusion33 and @brianluce

Well, theoretically I'm working on a stable although the country is not in good time, but we havent even the crisis facing Europe -Im from Dominican Republic, Im graphic designer, here it is not well paid-. If I lose my job, with benefits I can perfectly cover the cost of GH3, but I have another problem, is that not only to raise money, but wait for someone close go to U.S., because customs charge more than 40% of the value of the equipment as if it were a Ferrari. And here do not sell this camera.

I know a better gear does not make me better photographer, but with the GH2 I can not take pictures more sharpness and near the quality of the E-M5. Also common is that people do not perceive these differences, but I remember days ago, a colleague in the office saw me in hour of lunch when I was editing some of the material and was surprised, although I have little experience, in my country audiovisual works are a little poor and wanted to do something that is memorable, but I insist; the important thin in a film is the story, but for example when you see something done by Fincher look perfect compositions and visual work commendable.

In my proyect and in everything I do, I have a soundman always first, the sound is vital for a film, but some filmmakers ignore it. Another thing I like of tthe GH3 is the slow motion, that of the GH2 is not very good and there is a scene in slow motion, but could do so in Twixtor.

@stonebat, for 2014 Panasonic is throwing the GH5.

@kavadni, is probably what I will do.

Thank you all for your comments and your time. :)

• Think you are growing to become a gear head if you dont watch it. A camera is a tool for you to do something. A good camera is a luxury but it is by no means a prerequisite to make a good film. Dont listen to people who keep touting new and "better" products online. They all have an agenda. Like @kavadni says, finish whatever you have to, and move on.

The difference between a lens collector and a photographer is that the former hangs out at lens shops all the time admiring pieces of glass. A photographer goes out there and shoots stuff, even with a toy camera and kit lens.

• @Manu4Vendetta

People are telling you smart things.

If you so want it, set the goal and get this money by extra work or some project.

• I'd have to agree with the Save Your Money, Hire a Soundman notion that was mentioned. Definitely better to have a film shot on a gh2 with great sound – than one shot on a GH3 (or whatever 'best camera' comes about) with no money left.

But yea, if you don't already have the money for it, I don't know if GH3 is THAT much better, is it?

• Don't go into debt, GH2 is great camera for still photography - as good as E-M5, you just have to shoot RAW files and do some post-editing work with your computer to get as nice final results. It's just out-of-camera JPEGs from the GH2 which don't look as good as the E-M5's but the camera itself is about same good, GH2's RAWs are great.

For slow motion, your GH2 can do great results- just stretch it in some good quality low cost software like Magix Video deluxe HD to the length you need. So all in all, your GH2 can do anything you need, man.

• @Manu4Vendetta

Apply to your bank for a business loan, not a personal loan. The simple process of filling in the form and being interviewed should answer your questions.

• Thanks to everyone for your opinions. I've been thinking a lot the issue because on one hand would be a great investment and on the other the GH3 has many opinions.

That would be worthy of another topic, but I think I will focus on finding a native lens M4/3 good quality -I have the 20mm 1.7, 14mm 2.5 and the 14-42 kit,- but my problem is that I feel that modern optical have to take a look too plasticine, the ideal would be the Nokton 25 or 17 that have a cinematic look and nothing plasticine. I like know how it will behave the PanaLeica 25mm 1.4 on video, most of what I've seen is in still and costs almost half the Nokton. I'm also waiting for more evidence of SLR Magic 35mm 1.4

Thanks!

• He man,

if you're on a budget try the M. Zuiko lenses or Canon FD, they have a pretty good image, and don't cost alot ;)!

• As you already have the 20mm 1.7 it will be enough for the low light and bokeh with a normal view angle or slightly wide view angle. Better choice would be a fast lens for portraits and closeups. Think about the Olympus 45mm 1.8

About the addiction, obsession to hardware, this is normal and happens to many people. Try to avoid it and focus in more important things as script, talents, crew, locations, misancene. Do a balance among things considering what you can do with the hardware you already own and what you cannot do, and just buy new hardware to do what you cannot do yet. Or just use the money to spend your free time with people you love.

Hardware is seductive and dangerous because we get fascinating for it. I did an upgrade in my computer some time ago and there is six months living with a freezing computer just to try to have a faster machine. Total waste of time and money. I am learning for a while to stop paying attention to hardware on internet. It is difficult but possible. I did a look at GH3 and managed to avoid the temptation to sell the GH2 to buy the GH3. It would be another waste of time and money.

Happiness is always a step beyond what we have achieved. Think about it.