Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 with external recorder? Will it work?
  • Interested in getting an Atomos or Black Magic field recorder - but I've heard the HDMI out from the GH2 won't do 24p correctly. Being able to export directly to Apple Pro Res would dramatically improve my workflow! If it doesn't work, will the GH3 be able to do it?

Also, how do the hacks relate to this? Does the hack only work for recording to the SD card?

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • @conformist I only briefly looked into this, so please double check with others the following info.

1. Yes, the stream of info coming off the HDMI out on GH2 is problematic, but apparently Ralph B has solved that via software called Avisynth. I believe you can find him here and PM.
    2. Direct to ProRes - I'm not familiar with that aspect. Maybe Ralph B knows
    3. GH3 stuff. Maybe check with Vitaliy and Driftwood on this forum.
    4. The hack settings are good because they don't compress the video files/images as much as the GH2 normally does. Using HDMI out to a recorder would be better as you could possibly be getting uncompressed files/images. The less compression the better-both in terms of image quality as well as how well those image hold up to color correction/grading (assuming you can handle the storage/workflow for the resulting bigger file sizes).
    5. Does the hack only work on SD cards? That's a good question, because one of the benefits of the various hack settings, is that in addition to less compression, each setting has its own look/style. So in a perfect world, you might be able to get the imaging characteristics of the hack setting you like (ex. Sedna or Boom), while being able to record fully uncompressed files to your recorder.

My choice was to use the hack settings recording to SD cards. I've been extremely pleased with the quality to the images and they've held up perfectly even after color correcting/grading and viewing on a 62" HDTV. I will soon test by creating digital cinema packages (DCP) to test at a local theater to confirm the images hold up on big screen. The few reports I've heard are that they do hold up, and I got the feeling everyone was recording to SD cards. I prefer to keep it simple versus adding a recorder into the equipment/workflow.

An easy test is shoot some footage, color correct, and play it on a big HDTV. If you haven't you'll be surprised just how well GH2 footage holds up, even better when using the best hack settings. I've shot stuff with the GH2 without any hack setting...just the GH2 the way Panasonic ships the camera, and it too is pretty impressive on 62" HDTV screen.

Only testing for yourself will give you comfort to know what quality you're getting for your projects. Good luck