Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Great Camera Shootout 2011: Episode Two
  • It is finally out.
    I'd like to see how the gh2 performs between these monsters!

http://www.zacuto.com/the-great-camera-shootout-2011/episode-two
  • 54 Replies sorted by
  • But they didn't test it =(
  • 'cause Panasonic sees just the af100 as a pro model.. The gh2 is just a consumer toy
  • yes, but GH2 is almost as AF100 :-)
  • This is really sad story or a very planned and orchestrated one. The GH2 is really the second generation HDSLR. That is it cured 99% of the problems of the first generation (moire/aliasing/low resolution/monitoring/heating) and yet there is nearly no test. I think it would fare so well that it would embarrassed many, starting from Panasonic itself.

The most crying example is on d**r itself where the boss always appear like by enchantment when their is any criticism or comparison about the Af100. Always commenting subjectively but never testing. When asked before, oh yes he had health problem would do when his flu has gone, just waiting for the storm to pass. Frankly to have people to believe people like these blindly when their motives are so obvious who is sponsoring him.

Latest... Oh yes the Af100 does not clip horribly, you just have to expose correctly, they all clip like the F3, Alexa etc... What he forgot to mention is that the Af-100 has been tested as having less DR than those two camera, even lower than the Canon DSLR in the zacuto test and that every camera will clip at a certain level but the f3 and more so Alexa will leave you much more headroom in the mid and shadow areas. The Af100 will crush the shadows much faster. You can't talk about highlight if you don't talk about shadows. Dynamic range is like a fix slide where with exposure you can move it left or right on the graduated scale. Depending on how you move it using exposure you will either blow or crush if the level of the contrast of the scene exceed the dynamic range of the Sensor. To put the Alexa and Af-100 in the same phrase is pure blasphemy.

To come back to the subject, with people like above the gh2 has been put aside. Their where talk that at the screening in Las-Vegas people where laughing every-time the DSLR images where shown because of the poor resolution etc. I guess many would not have done so, have they seen the image coming from the gh2, more so with the hacked version. But it suit so many people that the DSLR technology as a step down, helped by some people.
  • Panasonic was afraid that GH2 would show better results than AF100, so no one would buy AF100 ...
    :-)
  • @feha
    Gh2 produces far better images than af100 (less edge enhancing, more resolution, better colors, better dr) but has more alialising issues. I think that all this is justified by the fact that af100 uses an improved version of the gh1 sensor plus a physical filter for the alialising.
  • @Elenion
    it might be, but i speculate that GH2, was hardware test ground for AF100.
    Have no insight in their hardware, but I think they used same sensor as GH2, low light is better than GH1.
    There are on youtube some tests GH2 & AF100 the GH2 (my opinion) performed better.
  • It would be nice someday to find people that have the equipment (charts, backlight graduated chart for dr, etc) to do it. But unfortunately no one does and for some it is too obvious why. If they were sure that the Af-100 has nothing to fear from the GH2, logically they should do it so that they don't have to comment every-time this debate comes along.

What I would really like is to know the DR of the gh2 in video mode. I mean a pro test with back-lite chart. Provideocoalition have done some very nice test from the 5d to the Alexa/red. I hope someday they do one of the gh2... better hacked gh2.
  • This is a horrible test, you can conclude everything and the exact contrary from this test. Everything is different and more so you have youtube compression.
  • @danyyyel
    I just see on 08:20 much better contrast/details on GH2 than AF100 ...
    however this is not a proper test for technical conclusions , i just found it interesting on youtube ...
  • Looking at zacuto i think that the camera i prefere are red and alexa. I don't like af100 at all, i like the look of the canons but i think that their technology is too much inferior. About the sony i think that their look is too 'technical'. I love the contrast of the Weisscam.
    I'm really starving for a good comparison with the hacked gh2!
  • I spoke to someone at panasonic the other day who said when broadcaster tested GH2 outperformed AF101 in some areas.
  • Hacked GH2 outperforms the AF100 for image quality, period. The stars of this test for me are still the DSLRs because of how close they are for the money. Nobody mentions price any more!! Alexa is some ¢50k+!!
  • They should have tested the GH2. Just imagine the lenses you could buy with all the money saved over some of the others in the test.
  • GH2 should be put in the group of other DSLR's for test ,
    even 5D, 7D, Nikon7000 etc are not pro video cameras :-(
  • After seeing this I find it hard to understand why anyone would use a Canon DSLR ever, unless they were forced to.
  • @Brian202020
    Many guys. And it is perfect.
    We are not Canon bashing idiots here, righ?
  • I was surprised in this test that the 5D Mark2 did not give a better image in LL. My own experience is that it is very good with a prime lens. Interesting.
  • @EOSHD
    >Hacked GH2 outperforms the AF100 for image quality, period. The stars of this test for me are still the DSLRs because of how close they are for the money. Nobody mentions price any more!! Alexa is some ¢50k+!!< right!!!
  • +1 for Panasonic being afraid of the GH2 results... it's really the only logical conclusion. I mean c'mon, they had the frigging 1D and D7000 in there... and why did they need three Canons? Panasonic just doesn't want their consumer "DSLR toys" out performing their 'holier-than-thou' professional camera systems. Even though it most certainly does.

If anyone here lives in the LA area, I think we should all throw in some money to rent the AF-100 for a weekend and do a real GH2 vs AF-100 shootout. I'm getting sick of reading all the garbage at DVX user about DSLRs and "proper video cameras"... I want to shove some undeniable results in those smug faces of theirs. Unless we do it ourselves, we're never going to see real results... we all know that AF-100 owners and Panasonic+affiliates are never going to pit the GH2 against it in public.

I'm thinking something like: GH2 stock, GH2 hacked, AF-100, and 7D (for reference of 1st gen DSLRs)
  • @bwhitz
    Yes!
    GH2, AF100, Red MX, and Alexa.
    One big test to counter this shootout.
  • @Sage
    I would LOVE to use the RedMX and Alexa as well... that would be amazing. I don't think anyone with an MX or Alexa is going to want to donate the use of their camera though. Maybe we could start a blog and start looking for donations or something to rent them all? Or maybe if we show them how many people are going to be watching, some rental houses may give us a reduced rate?

I think we should also add some humor to the shootout with everyone involved wearing "Proper video cameras are stupid" shirts or something... This could be hilarious!!! (and informative). :)
  • @Vitaliy

Not a Canon bashing idiot, in fact I have a 7D which I think I'm going to sell.
  • @Sage

I had a RED MX I could have done the test with, but sold it a couple months back. Although it was superior in every way to my AF100, most of my clients opted to save money and use the AF100.