Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How do I get better GH2 Autofocus?
  • I just got a 14mm Panasonic lens for my GH2. However, I'm quite new to this and wanted to learn how to get more continuous/steady autofocus.

My videos have a lot of a movement away and towards the camera. I shoot review videos and have to bring the product close up and set it back down again. Trouble is, the camera keeps focusing on a small bit of the video instead of the whole scope (Like my old camcorder does). This results in the video constantly focusing/refocusing whenever I move my hands and it looks terrible. Sometimes it doesn't focus at all! :(

Is there any way to configure the autofocus to perform better? Any settings in the GH2 or techniques?

Thank you for reading

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Buy the GH3 or focus manually. It sounds like you want focus tracking during video. Only the G2, G3, G5, and GH3 will be able to do that. Of those only the GH3 will be able to do it with manual controls during video as well.

I tested the GH2's Face detect tracking with the 35-100mm F2.8 the other day. The face detect AF is a form of tracking but it is terribly inaccurate. It is actually pretty cool to watch the box try to follow my daughters face as she swung on a swing.

It failed miserably trying to keep up with her face. It was consistently lagging behind. Hopefully the GH3 will improve on this.

• Here's a picture of my current setup for reference. I shoot 12-16 inches from the lens and frequently do close ups.

DSC00926.png
    1400 x 710 - 1M