Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Non original, not Panasonic charger for GH2
  • my charger for my gh2 stopped working. i know you cant use third party batteries but can i use a third party charger with pansonic batteries? thanks seth

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I am travelling light and always use just one universal charger to charge camera, phone and dive light batteries, including the batteries for my GH2.

I use this device: http://www.hama.de/00081350/hama-delta-allround-universal-charger-for-li-ion-batteries-and-aa-aaa-cells (which is sold in Germany starting at 22 €).

Universal chargers like this can charge both original and 3rd party batteries - all the "dongling" that Panasonic implemented to keep away the competition is evaluated by the camera firmware, the "+" and "-" contacts of the batteries are not involved in that.

• Did anybody experience problems (like shorter life) of original Panny batteries if charged with one of those cheap chargers (as sometimes bundled with non-original batteries)?

My original charger stopped working too, but I still have one of those cheap ones around.

• I experienced issues when using third party batteries on GH2. After a while, the 3 party ones confused the camera, so much it ended up not accepting my original batteries! I was getting warning dialogue boxes telling me the GH2 could not recognise the original bats. I think this could have also caused my camera to break down. Got it repaired at Panny HQ, they changed the entire circuit board, cost me $300. Now I just use all original bats.

• Thank you, @kazuo.

This time I'm more concerned about not ruining my original batteries with a non-Panny charger.