Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Apocalypse Now (GOP3) - errors
  • I downloaded the Apocalypse Now patch a month or so ago ( I think it was the GOP3 version) and I appear to be getting errors if I shoot more than a certain number of clips. FCPx as well as clipwrap has a hard time playing the files back and transcoding them. I also get a card read error. Not sure if it's to do with a bad card, I have the 64GB transend card and it could also happen to be when I shoot a few raw photos. It seems to shoot the first lot of video clips just fine then after a while the clips, some, get messed up. They are playable but have green, dropped, piixilated frames in them.

Any ideas - perhaps this patch was a beta but I swear it worked fine until a week or two ago -I am shooting more clips now as well as shooting a few photos along with the video on the card. Shooting 24p highest bit rate setting. I also did some zooming at the same time as recording to the card today and my next slip did error out so perhaps that's the problem??

Bad card, bad patch? No like photos? Any suggestions.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Which patch are you using

• Apocalypse Now from around Sept. Same problem today and no zooming. Happened not sure what is going on, I was shooting a red jacket? Annoying and I am too far from home to change back.

• Hi,

It seems that a card is probably the cause supposing the setting in which you are troubled is my Valkyrie. Since maximum bandwidth about the same as Intra is used in Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO1 or TYPE-ZERO2, in order to secure the resource for zoom, focus, etc., a more nearly high-speed card is required. Although I do not know how high-speed your 64GB transend card is, in I myself experience, this setting cannot be used except SanDisk 95MB/s SDXC. Therefore, I also recommend use of this card.

The main causes which I think of are above. In addition, if it is TYPE-ZERO1 in September, possibly a bit rate setup may be the version which was somewhat too high. In the latest Valkyrie, it has adjusted to the bit rate of the limit which is not frozen in SanDisk 95MB/s SDXC.

• I have this card the 95Mbps one and have never had any trouble with it at all. Just started having trouble with this patch. All other patches worked flawlessly including a 170Mbps one so not sure what is going on? The bitrate for this patch is 90Mbps according to mac media info so not too hight. I'm also confused, Apocalypse Now is the name of a specific patch or a group of patches? I can post some footage messing up. I get green frames and then pixilation afterwards. NExt clip appears to be fine.

• Hmmmm... In the setting which you are using, this is the first time that such a report was heard. Although improved slightly now, it has not changed so much with the setting which probably you are using in 24p.

Apocalypse Now is the name of a specific patch or a group of patches?

Apocalypse Now series is the setting group which I and driftwood are making based on the matrix by Chris. At least, in 3GOP which I am taking charge of, I have not adopted the specially unusual specification. Honestly, as long as the report from you is read, I am not sure about the cause of your trouble. Supposing it is possible, I would like to look into your data with a problem.

• perhaps this patch was a beta but I swear it worked fine until a week or two ago

Are there any conditions which are otherwise different in the time and now? Such a trouble has not been experienced although I have also shot together with the photograph.

• @AfricaGH2 My friend has experienced the same trouble as you. He says if the deficiency in performance of Mac is the cause. Or it may be a hard affinity issue. Anyway, he has said, "The same condition occurred in the portion to which the bit rate became high momentarily." Although I do not know whether this becomes your reference ...

FYI, In the setting set as 170M, the bit rate does not go up the bit rate to there in fact. For example, also in the 176M setting which I made in the past, the highest bit rate was about 140M. Since 24p of TYPE-ZERO1 or TYPE-ZERO2 becomes the always high bit rate easily, there is a possibility of recording the bit rate more than your imagination momentarily.

• The patch I am using is only 90Mbps, I have used other patches with double the bitrate just fine. Will investigate further when I get back to HQ.

• @AfricaGH2 Since I have not heard the talk about such an error from other persons other than the report that data cannot be carried by the shortage of power of PC, I am very interested. If a cause becomes clear, please let me know. Many thanks! :-)

• So it looks like I was using Cluster v7 DREWnet 12/15 GOP - all my footage had problems it seems. Where can I get a newer version of Cluster? (is there a version 8?) or what else do you suggest.

I find the patches very haphazardly listed - we need on big table on a single page that list ALL the patches with their bit rates, GOP, card types etc. I would like an intra frame patch.