Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lumix DMC-TS3/FT3
  • So I did a little more homework regarding this camera and like a lot of people said on the GoPro Topic I started, the DMC-TS3 is a better choice. Unlike the GoPro it has a zoom lens, a shutter, a CCD chip, an adjustable ISO, and takes both better stills and video than the GoPro. The weight is very similar to the GoPro with the LCD BacPac on it, so all the GoPro mounts should work as long as you have an after market adapter. They used to sell one at EyeOfMine.com, but not anymore. You can make one tho out of part of EyeOfMine.com's magnet mount or gun mount they sell, which is the identical piece I have. I think I'm about to jump ship, sell my GoPro and get the DMC-TS3. Vitaliy you mentioned this camera might be the next camera you tackle. Have you looked into it yet? I will donate with "Option 7".
  • 26 Replies sorted by
  • @Brian202020

What do you mean?
    We need to collect sum necessary to buy FT3, this is not cheap locally, about $550.
  • I mean I will contribute $50 towards the DMC-TS3 project as long as you can guarantee it'll go to that and not a different project. The FT3 goes for under $300 online.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=panasonic+ft3&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7932918825&ref=pd_sl_2hm6fz4oxi_b
  • If you want to ship it to me since you're not in the US, I will pay to ship it to you.
  • @Brian202020

>as long as you can guarantee it'll go to that and not a different project

Really do not understand that you mean here.
    If I'll have camera I'll make a hack. This is as simple as that.

As for online, shipping.
    I prefer to be simple. Get money, go to nearest store and get camera with guarantee.
    Otherwise I must be sitting and waiting for delivery, I am too busy lately.
    After shipping it'll be near $400 anyway.
  • Here are the Video Specs from the camera. I don't know if it can be greatly improved. The GH2 has a more powerful set of chips and way more memory which this one lacks. The IQ from this camera is pretty low at 1080p 17mbit, much less than what the GH2 outputs. Sensor has to do a lot with that but I'm guessing processing plays a larger part.

Motion Picture Recording:
    [4:3] VGA: 640 x 480 pixels, 30fps (Motion JPEG) /
    QVGA: 320 x 240 pixels, 30 fps (Motion JPEG) /
    [HD Movie] 1920x1080 pixels, 50i (Sensor output is 25p) /

(FSH:17Mbps, GFS:17Mbps/ AVCHD) /
    1280x 720 pixels, 50p (Sensor output is 25p) (GS:17Mbps, SH:17Mbps/
    AVCHD ) / 1280x 720 pixels, 30fps (QuickTime MotionJPEG)
  • @jamesgh2

Don't be so sure.
    This camera have quite powerful LSI.
  • Brian, the FT-3 is only a "better choice" depending on what you are going to do with it.

There is no 50/60p, i believe it is just doubling of frames, so no slowmo.
    auto focus is not desirable on a wearable sports cam
    OIS is of little use if mounted on bikes etc
    limited battery life
    the list goes on.

The most attractive attribute is CCD, but then you have to put up with the purple lines and streaks in the video.

If it's going to be used for general walkabout sports use and occasional on water/underwater then that is what it was designed for.
  • @Vitaliy

$400 is less than $550 :)

@jamesgh2

17Mbps AVCHD is what the GH1's native bitrate was, and look what happened there. If we could get any bitrate increase at all or some manual functions I would be happy.

@Rambo

I don't think the DMC-FT3 will completely replace my GoPro, but it'd be perfect for more controlled shots and where the 17Mbps bitrate is needed over the GoPro's Max 12Mbps bitrate. Plus if Vitaliy could use his magic and get an even higher bitrate it'd be no contest for most of the work I do. I will have to look into the frame dubbing you are talking about tho, that would be a bummer.
  • GoPro is more like 15 - 16mbps and it is pretty good at averaging that in outdoor scenes. If R3 mode 50/60fps 30GOP mode could be extended to 24mbps that would be an awesome improvement in motion capture.
  • I will donate "Option7" as well for a hackable DMC-TS3/TF3.
  • @Rambo

Yeah you're right, it's 15Mbps for 1080 30p and 720 60p. Sorry about that. I can't seem to find information either way regarding the frame dubbing you speak of. Rambo do you have a link to that information?
  • I will donate "Option7" as well for a hackable DMC-TS3/TF3?!

sorry but I do not understand ... (I do not speak English very well ...)
    someone is working on a firmware dmc-ft3?!
  • I am very interested because I want better control ... (instead of the frames in the scene): D

I like the camera in some situations but I miss the possibility of too free interpretation of what I see
    :D
  • Wow--a current issue camera with CCD AND AVCHD! Been looking all over for that. Thanks!

About time somebody made something like a helmet cam with a non-rolling shutter.
    The LX3 isn't quite rugged enough for that :)

I see that the cheaper entry in their ruggedized line, the DMC-FT10, also known as DMC-TS10 (why, Panasonic, must you use two different model numbers for the same thing?) has CCD also (though not AVCHD, just MJPEG). Might they share a hack?

Vitaliy, I can get a DMC-TS3 for $270 directly from Panasonic, and a DMC-TS10 for $150. I 'd be willing to get either or both of these for you at cost. I wouldn't even ask you to trust me blindly. I could "sell" it to you as a buy-it-now through eBay and you could pay by PayPal and you would then have their protection (such as that is.) I don't know what shipping from here in the US to Russia is or whether secure shipping even exists over that path. Maybe this plan would need some work, but it's a start. I'm just saying that I'm willing to help. Vitaliy, write to me directly if interested. (Sorry, I won't do it for anyone else, but if you look around you can find this pricing too.)
  • Do you think the FT3 can be made to do 24 fps?
  • Most point and shoots are CCD, have been for years. It's also the main reason for not having 60/50fps.
  • @stuckvoxel

How can you get it for $270?
  • >Here you go Vitaliy, there is only 2 days left.

Meaning?
    As far as I see we even did not start collecting for this body.
  • >As far as I see we even did not start collecting for this body.

Well let us know when you want to start collecting for this body. Like I said once you do I'll donate $50 and wishmaster83 also said he'd donate $50.
  • I am willing to donate $50 if the firmware will be raw and manual mode.

• I have TS3 (same as FT3) and would love to see a hack for RAW. Is it even possible?

• I can donate £40 for a hack with raw and manual mode.

• A hack for this would be pretty awesome... not many CCD sensor cameras (or even camcorders) out there with the potential quality of this little thing.

• if RAW is not possible then I can live without it but manual mode is still my greatest wish.