Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Trying to calibrate monitors for a balanced workflow
  • Hi guys,

I'm trying to calibrate my monitors to at the very least get uniformity between all my systems and know that what I'm seeing is the same on each machine. I'm also hoping to get all my monitors as close to rec.709 as I can (although I'm starting to question whether that is even a good idea)

I'm trying to use DispcalGUI with an i1pro to setup some monitors and I'm struggling a little with how best to do it.

My main editing PC is connected to a Dell 3007wfp and then outputting to a Dell 2407wfp via a Blackmagic card and HDLink box. I also have a Dell L702x laptop that I edit on location with. I was planning on running DispcalGUI on the pc and the laptop and then connect the 24 inch monitor to the pc, run DispcalGUI, convert the icm profile to a LUT, reconnect the 24 inch to the HDLink box and load the LUT.

My first real question is, is this the best way to balance the monitors I have, with the tools at my disposal?

Secondly, what is the best way to set up the software for as close to rec.709 as possible on each monitor?

Oh and then my colleague threw a spanner in the works by asking me a very sensible question; "If all our monitors are rec709, what will happen when we export files for web on those same machines? If they are full RGB will they look correct?"

I'm sorry, this is probably very basic stuff I've got myself confused with, but I'm scratching my head now and have no idea what to do next. We are camera ops and editors by trade and have no problems being creative but this technical and mathematical stuff just baffles us :(