Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1/GH2 Cinema Profles Comparison
  • As long as I see, the best video setting for GH2 for the most users is Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2.

I still work with GH1 and if I set Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2, whatever I shot the results are always not good and poor, no matter if Panasonic lenses or vintage lenses are used (even FD 50mm 1.4).

So, would somebody with experience give a suggestions and comparison between GH1 and GH2 profiles?

For example, which GH1 settings to use to be equivalent to GH2 Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2? Etc...

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Aside from encoding quality, the major difference between the GH1 and the GH2 is not in Film Mode settings, but in color balance. While both cameras have a greenish cast, the tint is stronger in the GH1. Fortunately, this can be corrected in the White Balance settings. Here are daylight settings designed to remove the greenish cast of both the GH1 and GH2 in AVCHD video modes.

GH2 Daylight Settings

Film Mode Smooth

Contrast -2

Sharpness -2

Saturation -1

Noise Reduce -2

WB Sunlight

A-3

M-2

GH1 Daylight Settings

ISO -1/3rd stop slower than GH2

Film Mode Smooth

Contrast -2

Sharpness -2

Saturation -1

Noise Reduce -2

WB Sunlight

A-2

M-5

GH2 24H - Flow Motion v2:

GH1 FHD - Max Latitude v2:

• Thank you, LPowell!

Actually I've seen that comparison before. But what makes me really confused is that almost every video with Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2 on GH2 looks nice. At the same time the same settings on GH1 are simply poor and not nice.

I did a short test with GH1 + FD 50mm 1.4 and VIBRANT +2 -1 +2 -1 and it looks much better and much more filmic with these settings. Don't let me shoot the same test with Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2, the result will be really disappointing.