Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AMD - Going Bankrupt or Can they recover?
  • http://www.extremetech.com/computing/137796-amd-executives-have-forgotten-how-to-run-a-company

2 serious issues at hand: Financial (slower PC sales, lack of differentiation amongst competition, increasing price pressures, managerial shakeups) and Technological (competition from Intel, Apple, ARM and Nvidia)

I didn't buy a Macbook Pro because it used AMD/ATI graphics, and have avoided AMD products for the last couple of years since Adobe continued partnering with Nvidia for the Mercury Playback Engine for acceleration with no option for AMD acceleration until the last release. So, I know I have definitely avoided their products lately...

I am rooting for AMD to turn it around, because like illustrated in the Hard drive industry recently, less choice means drastically higher product prices.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I have not bought a retina Macbook Pro because it uses AMD/ATI graphics, and have avoided AMD products for the last couple of years since Adobe continued partnering with Nvidia for the Mercury Playback Engine for acceleration with no option for AMD acceleration until the last release

This is really question to the goverment structures who did not forced Adobe to pay enormous money if they'll continue to do this.

In fact, it is more general problem, as countries must greate and force certain standards, including GPU ones.

• I am rooting for AMD to turn it around, because like illustrated in the Hard drive industry recently, less choice means drastically higher product prices.

Hard drives are just typical example, corporations cutting expenses to maximise their income.

• AMD is the only competitor to Intel. They are not allowed to go bankrupt. And yes, Adobe's policy is a scandal. There really should be much tougher regulation to prevent this type of cartel.

• AMD has put out plenty of poor products after the Athlon 64 and early Opteron processors.Once they bought ATI I avoided their products as I hold an 13 year grudge for ATi never releasing win 98 rage 2c drivers. Satisfied made great products with horrible software support. I do hope AMD releases a competitive product in the next couple years just to keep Intel from going back to price gouging

• 3 hours after they announced lay-offs of 20% of their workers, AMD announced their new Z-Series APU for Tablets. Looks less like bankruptcy and more like rationalisation.

• They have big issues with Z-60, as it is quite old C-60 with only slight changes and same performance.