Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Editing tips for narrative filmmakers...
  • Here are some tips from a TV editor in Hollywood. I changed a few words around since it came off another site. A lot has to do with how long to hold on a shot. There's this tendency to love your shots so much that you let them play out too long like a Phil Bloom moving postcard. Don't do that.

-Most shots are between 2 and 4 seconds long.

-Shots that are less then two seconds and especially less than 1 second are usually decisions driven by the music, and you're probably cutting right on the beat.

-Shots that last beyond eight seconds are either incredibly dynamic, or are a restricted POV shot (like a surveillance cam or similar) that get their power from being a restricted POV.

-The longest I can remember holding a shot was 42 seconds--it was from the helmet-cam of a cop chasing a drug dealer through fenced-in backyards.

-My shows have wall-to-wall music (too much, I think). A cue usually lasts around twenty-five seconds. Ten seconds happens. The only times I let a cue get much beyond 30 seconds is if has some big-time change-ups in it, so its essentially a different cut.

-Most scenes are between two and four minutes, but there's a lot of wiggle room in this. Having said that, it's rare for a scene to be less than forty-five seconds -- once it gets less than that, it usually becomes part of a montage with just a sound-up or two.

-I try to keep talking head scenes down to 75 seconds.

-When I'm cutting static shots (like an establishing shot), and there's no music or rhythmic sound in the cut yet, I find myself counting a four-beat in my head--probably lasts three seconds. But it's also worth noting that the length of these shots will almost immediately succumb to rhythm of whatever sound is put in there.

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • Very interesting tips. They certainly ring true for me.