Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sound use of microphone technique - humour
  • I don't think I need to say much .. get ready to laugh

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • So... they want bass, clipping and (depending on the mic) and to get the capsule to bottom out? Man, I had it all wrong trying to get balanced tone instead. :)

• Not quite Per, it looks more like an XLR connection mounted thru the amp head grill instead of a mike pointing at the lower speaker cabinet.

• Right - but the close-miking would give a proximity effect (hence the undesirable bass in this case) that would be really odd for that setup. That's the part that seemed weird to me. If they want more bass, mic the freaking large cone. :)

I've seen people doing multi-mic setups that included miking the head separately to good effect, but they did not let the mic get that close (and they blended the tone with a lower mic).

Having it that close (and alone) = bizarre.

• No what i meant, if you look closely, there appears to be a male XLR connector mounted to the grill with a female XLR connected to it, no mic at all. Unless that thing closest to the grill is a capsule only.

• Okay, I'm going to zoom in. Looking closely is tricky on a small screen.

(Zooms in).

Looks like an ugly microphone to me (the tapering is consistent), but the form looks more like rubber than metal so if what you say is true, then it's even funnier. :)

• The support bracket underneath does seem to suggest it's adjustable, so could be a strange mic, but sure is funny either way. Maybe the ""Roadie"" had too much to drink nite before and swiveled it up instead of down??

• Rambo, that's kind of awesome. :)

• I asssumed the 'Head roadie' had said to the 'New roadie', "go and point this mic at the guitar player's amp"

• ... and down the sound quality went, too. ;)

• Yeah, roadies don't need to know much about audio, just have to be good at sorting the good groupies from the bad ones.