Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
US: Aging
  • 12 Replies sorted by
  • Compare to russia, any western European state, or Japan, and the US is in a relatively good position. We still bring in, if I understand correctly, more legal immigrants than the rest of the world combined, and that is mostly youth.
  • >Compare to russia, any western European state, or Japan, and the US is in a relatively good position

No one here told that US is worse considering aging.
    Problem is quite common.
    As for immigrants, it is very bad pseudo solution to actual problem.
    This post is not about this.
    Such charts show that current system won't live and will be dismounted in next 2-5 years.
  • "No one here told that US is worse considering aging." I don't understand your language here.

"As for immigrants, it is very bad pseudo solution to actual problem." Well, it's a solution we've been using quite well for over 200 years. Nothing psuedo about results.
  • @cosimo
    What's the problem again? Aging population? And legal immigration is the solution? What?
  • > Well, it's a solution we've been using quite well for over 200 years.

Can you please show me on charts how ot worked quite well in last 50 years?
    Last chart clearly shows that it is something fucking wrong with this assumption.
  • I don't know that there IS a problem per se! But I am suggesting that as far as aging populations go, the US is in a better position than most with the help of continuous immigration.
  • Well the actual problem is selling your future to fund your present. Both by nations and by the world as a whole has this problem. This isn't merely an economic one either
  • @Dazza: I agree in principle.
  • >http://pewhispanic.org/reports/report.php?ReportID=85

This report lists problems and make very big assumptions.
    Like the fact that immigarts still will be very interested to come to America. How they know it? :-)
    Also bad practice is then poor immigrant families have many children that won't get proper education, and in the same time for average working and well educated family it is hard to have more than one kid, as their standard of living drops, paying credits become harder and giving good education to all childrens becomes a problem.
  • for children and adolescents is no more money because
    the money have burnt : the financial and banking sector
  • Social Security has been well funded and actually running surplus. It's currently supposed to be fine for at least 20 years. I can't say that the aging trend listed is gonna necessarily happen, but as of right now we actually raid the S.S. fund to pay for other things. They could raise the amount people pay into the system to offset any future shortfall and raise the age to 67. Every small adjustment will make a difference. I'm not worried.