Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
LaCie shock proof solutions
  • LaCie Launches 'Rugged' Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 Portable Drives

The 1TB version is $249, while the 120GB and 256GB SSD's are $199 and $349 respectively.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10599

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • In another forum where I participate there is already a LaCie hard drive throwing competition. That says all about LaCie's reputation in quality. For me: never again LaCie, not even for free.

• @peaceonearth

Well don't bother trying to flush this drive down the toilet. It's probably a floater.

• LaCie hard drives are same as other portable drives, just enclosure is better looking sometimes :-)

• Scene 4         INTERIOR        NIGHT                   @peaceonearth 's Bedroom                                            Scene 4

It is 2 am. Peaceonearth's wife is alone in bed. She switches on a bedside lamp. Sound of water flushing

WIFE,:                                    Peaceonearth, what have you been doing in the toilet for half an hour?

PEACEONEARTH: (Voice-off)       SINK ! ya bastard, SIIINK!!

• What's wrong with these? Just about every portable HD out there has it's critics and fans. I've been on national commercial shoots where they are dumping the footage from reds onto stacks of these for transport directly to the editors. I've seen these dropped and keep on ticking. I've used one for over a year and it's gone back and forth across the country to deliver footage through the USPS (we all know how well they treat items) and it's still running. One of my girlfriends kids accidentially kicked it last week. I'd say that's pretty darn good.

• External SSDs? Thunderbolt? Looks tasty. Although I'd wanna have a slimmer non-rugged one, that's easier to carry around.

• @Pechente sorry, not SSD as I reported on SSD thread, A web search for SSD news had returned this product as well as a user comment re SSD further down the page.

SSD would have made it a bargain.

• To be honest, laCie are not saying it will survive drops. It's almost as if the ruggedised exterior is a kind of pre-packaging which would help if the drive were squeezed into a box with other stuff.

• I'm not saying that they say you can drop it. This is what I've experienced first hand. But like I said, every drive has it's haters and lovers. If you happen to get a crappy one, then you hate the company. Especially with a HD since so much is on the line. I'm getting ready to buy another one for a multi city promo shoot to dump my dailies on as well. Actually, probably two so I have a backup! :)

• Actually, I am saying that now! I just looked on the website and it says resistant to a 4' drop.

• @vicharris OK, I stand corrected.

I use portable drives all the time as well. They come with cases or sleeves which get unused or lost.

If you're carrying a drive around it's a no-brainer to use a protected one. This one is rubberised at the sides only leaving most surfaces thin for cooling.