Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Ultrastudio Express vs Ultrastudio 3d
  • Does anyone know if there is any major difference between Ultrastudio Express and Ultrastudio 3d, apart from 3d-playback and 4:4:4 capture? I know Ultrastudio 3d makes it possible for a MacBook Pro to perform smoothly with DaVinci Resolve (so that you can grade on the fly), but I haven't found any information regarding the limits of the Ultrastudio Express. Does it boost the real time performance of your NLE's and grading software, or does it just capture and play back?

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. But I would love to know if you've been able to find one to purchase? They've been on pre-order at B&H for quite some time, now.

That said, my guess would be the primary difference is the 3D and 444.

• They're available on ebay, amoung other places. Also available in stores in Norway, where I live :)

• Got this reply from blacmagic:

"When using DaVinci Resolve, we recommend using high specification products such as the DeckLink HD Extreme 3D, and the UltraStudio 3D, as these are our products which are capable of working with all recognised broadcast formats, and their processing can handle the high aspects of real time rendering with the Resolve software."

I guess that pretty much answers it, but I'm still wondering how much it helps to use an Ultrastudio Express compared to not using anything at all...

• @mlysbakken Well, you'll get video output with Resolve. Resolve won't work with AJA cards or Io devices.

I tend to wonder if their answer is truthful or not. I'd like to know, specifically, what parts give additional real-time output in the 3D box vs. the Express? Plus, doesn't Resolve use the gfx card for RT?

I looked at the tech specs page and there is no difference in real-time between the Express vs 3d. You can compare one to the other on the pulldown menu. It looks like it just adds support for some RT filters in FCP, Premiere, etc... but not Resolve. http://blackmagic-design.com/products/ultrastudio3d/techspecs/

In my opinion, Blackmagic tends to over-promise and under-deliver. It's too bad you have to use their cards/devices to get Davinci output. AJA has always had spot-on support when I needed it.

• @5thwall Yeah, I would much prefer another brand for this, actually...

• New reply from BlackMagic:

"The BMD product does not affect the real time playback within Resolve as the processing is all done via GPU and CPU. We recommend Ultrastudio 3D as it has more format support for resolutions like 2K and 3G SDI, but Ultrastudio Express should also work for most resolutions of output."

They pretty much lied to me in the first mail then...

• I don't see any reason other than 2K or more than 1080p30 for getting the more expensive version.

• @mlysbakken wow can't believe they said that it "should work with most resolutions.” that's crazy! It either works or doesn't work. Sounds like an uninformed customer support staff member.

I read one review for the express on Adorama that said it was very buggy.

What format do you need to send to your monitor? They have that new one that sends only SDI and HDMI out for 145. But I don't think it's for sale yet.

I have a feeling if you want to get an idea for how it works you are going to have to buy it to try it. And if you do, please post here and let us know how it works for you.

• @5thwall I ordered it a couple of days ago, so it'll arrive soon. I'll keep you guys updated on how it works :)

I'll be using HDMI for monitor output, but my monitor is off for repairs atm so I won't be able to test that for a couple of weeks. Will test the recording functionality and performance boost in NLE's as soon as possible, though!

• @mlysbakken That's great. Thanks! What system are you running?

• I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro, but sadly couldn't afford more than a Dell Ultrasharp when it came to monitoring. I hope to get something better in the future, but it will do for now. So the Ultrastudio won't come to it's full right with my system, but it will certainly help. I may try to hook it up to a Panasonic plasma at some point.

My main reason for buying it was recording, but I suspect higher needs for monitoring in the future.

• I reviewed the UltraStudio 3D for a German magazine and it worked very well with Premiere Pro and FCP-X.

• I have used the Ultrastudio Express for a little while now, capturing stuff from different kinds of media. It works well in most cases, but I was dissapointed to find out that it won't properly record the output from VHS decks. This is an advertised feature, so I feel a bit ripped off! According to other users with the same problem, Blackmagic is not very supportive and denies that this is an issue...

There is a workaround, though, namely converting the component signal to S-video. However, this fix requires a $40 investment in a converter. That stings after already having paid $400 for the card.

• It's not really their fault. A lot of professional grabber cards fail with unstabilized VHS consumer machines, which don't have a TBC (time base corrector). Pro VHS decks normally had one or were connected to one.

I'm in doubt if the S-Video path will always help.

Since analog is on it's way out, you can find TBCs pretty cheap from time-to-time on Fleabay.

• But why advertise it as a feature, then?