Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
need some help setting GH2 for aerial shots
  • got a GH2 and limited to the 14MM lens. need to shoot in 1080P however i need the HDMI out for Live view to my understanding as soon you hook up the hdmi out it will affect the recording it ? if so can someone recomend me the settings to use for the hack. the apocalypse looks great just not sure if its recomended with my setup any ideas?

thanks

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • @digitechnl If you are going to do aerial shots, try to spend several days shooting with the settings, memory cards and lenses you have in mind ahead of time to verify their stability in your setup.

Apocalypse Now settings are some of the highest image quality settings available, but they are also so of the most recent ones. There has been less time for the community as a whole to test them out and find bugs (even though the beta team put a lot of effort into that). In other words, they would not be my first choice for unpredictable shooting yet. Cluster 6 settings have been tested more.

The biggest thing you can do to try and ensure a problem-free shoot is to make sure you are using a high performance card. The fastest one that has been extensively tested to date is the SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB.

The next question is - what mode do you want to shoot in? 1080 24H? 1080 HBR PAL? 1080 HBR NTSC? 720 50P or 720 60P?

The Driftwood settings are consistently good for 24H, so if you want to shoot with that, then keep looking at those newer Driftwood options. And if you are not too worried about spanning, then it is also a good option.

But if you want to shoot in other modes, then you can get more consistent spanning performance in a wider range of modes with Flowmotion 2.02 or Sanity 5.

Personally, the last 2 music videos I shot only used Driftwood settings for the GH2 parts (Sedna and CM Night) and they included both 24H material and 720 50P. CM Night is great and so is Sedna.

CM Night has an easy time in lowlight but can suffer slightly from banding in 720P modes if you are dealing with overexposure, etc. Sedna is a great all-around setting. It may not be able to do quite as well as some of the other settings under their optimal conditions, but there is nothing where it actually doe poorly. If I had to have consistent image quality for an unpredictable shoot, it would still be one of my top choices.

Other than that, be aware that 720 60P or 50P is easier to stabilize in post but lose resolution relative to 24H mode. So you have to make the call as to what is most important to you.

And in terms of stabilizing for helicopter shots, you can search through some of the things @Rambo said in the past, among others. :)