Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony HX100v or HX9v HDMI Output
  • Anyone out there that has one of these cameras or may just know whether the HDMI output is active in a live view type of scenario or during record or is it only working on Playback? I wanted to know if I could use an external monitor with one of these cameras.

THX.
  • 15 Replies sorted by
  • HX9 is live until you hit record then cuts off...so no use really
  • Thank you. Mimirsan. Some cameras don't output live view via HDMI. Does it look like it's full 1080 quality or does it appear to be a lower resolution? I'm hoping that it outputs full HD which would be fine using it with a recorder like the Black Magic HyperDeck Shuttle. I just want to take the live view output and record that for longer record times than the in camera limit of 29 minutes. Of course i'd want it to still be at full HD quality.
  • Really nice quality during live view. Not sure if 1080/50i or 1080/50p though. Probably an interlaced output but it's very detailed.
  • THX EOSHD. It's a very intriguing camera and in a sense it kind of setups what's to come from Sony. I've read the rumors of a new NEX VG10 and if so can they not come out with it having multiple frame rates and overall better IQ than the HX9v? How can they not at least match the level of this humble camera?

I would love to see some tests of the HX9v/100v HDMI output. I've loved what i've seen so far and if it is equal to the footage i've seen so far it can really be a very handy part of any camera toolbox. I'd love to use it as a hidden camera so to speak doing events and weddings and just leave it recording to HyperDeck Shuttle for B cam stuff.
  • Yeah it looks great on my friends lilliput monitor...made us cry when I hit record and the screen went blank! lol
    As for sony...sometimes strange things happen!
  • The Sony HX100v output is 1080i. Just tried it on my TV. It looks fantastic but it's not 'clean' of camera menus and such. And of course it goes blank when the record button is pressed.

There is a menu option on the camera for 1080p, but when I select it my TV goes blank.

The GH2 HDMI is also 1080i, FWIW. Nice and 'clean' too, but apparently unrecordable due to a deliberate cadence bug from Panasonic. (How then does the TV decode it?)
  • bdegazio wrote "The Sony HX100v output is 1080i. Just tried it on my TV. It looks fantastic but it's not 'clean' of camera menus and such. "

Is there no option to remove the on screen icons in the menu for the HX9?
  • @lolodigital, Thx. I really am considering using a bunch of these to teach inner city kids. The level of quality is MORE than enough for doing this. I'm going to use them to make little TV Studio sets I can bring into the classroom.
  • Hi Guys. It looks like you all missed this:

Not sure what quality it is, but it is Nano Flash 280Mbps on the HX9. Enjoy.
  • @HHL, GREAT find! I thought it was quite impressive looking. I'd need to see more but it seems like it's more than viable to record the HDMI output. These little Sony's are really full of surprises. Can't see how you can beat them for the price. Seems the sensor and processor are really doing a great job despite size. I can't believe how much this camera resolves.
  • Hi HHL, how did you get away the camera infos on the hdmi live view? On my HX9V and HX100V I get a hdmi signal during 1080 50i mode (in 50p there comes no hdmi signal), but it contains all infos like aperture, ISO and it contains the record signal. So how did you get away this infos and got a "clear" hdmi signal?

Regards,

Chris

• @cjirik, HHL, posted this on another forum.

"HDMI OUT (LIVE) WHEN THE CAM IS ON. NOT when it's recording unfortunately....BUT, you can turn off all of the "options" and it displays it PERFECTLY CLEAN (It is AT LEAST 720P). I was watching it on my 50inch 720P Plasma and it was PERFECT. "

• HX9V HDMI live view works when shooting 1080 50i resolution or lower ... OK, I can live with that for my Steadicam. But there is a bizarre anomaly! Shot length becomes limited to 3mins whenever you commence recording with a powered HDMI display connected (in my case a Lilliput). The in-camera user guide says that the camera may not function properly if connected to a "non-Sony Bravia TV" and recommends setting menu item "HDMI control" to "off". However, this menu setting does not eliminate the 3:00 shot length limit. Still useable for Steadicam shots but not ideal. Makes me hold out hope that the GH2 HDMI Live View has been completely hacked ... but for the life of me I can never find out the state of play on the GH2 hack progress on this site.

• I got HX9V a few days ago. Make sure that the power saving set to " off " . The camera should stay on until the battery is out . The camera was set to Stamina by default . Very clean HDMI out at 1080i or 1080p output . The live view has optical stabilized when it set to "active" . It s really useful for my aerial shot with Quad copter .

• This is great! Does anyone know how to turn off face detect though? When someone walks on screen a square pops up around their face?! In the menu I only see options for auto, child, and adult.