Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Reverse Grading + Conversion as Budget Solution?
  • As we all know, there is little in the way one can do to in the way of a “budget” solution for a true broadcast monitor (the cheapest, “close-enough” solution seems to be connecting a calibrated hdtv via some card or breakout box). Of course, none of this is necessary if all you are doing is web work or if you don't care much about how your grade on your computer monitor translates to DVD or video broadcast.

But, I've always wondered about the following “reverse grade procedure”: if we know the ways in which Rec 709 differs from the RGB color space of a properly calibrated computer monitor, then how come the following isn't possible as a cheap solution for those who want accurate grades both for web and dvd / video / hd-cam distribution?

• Step 1. Color grade movie on an RGB color accurate (IPS) computer monitor.
    • Step 2. Apply the universal adjustments to contrast and color necessary to make the movie played in rec 709 grade look very close to (exactly?) like the grade on the RGB monitor.

Of course, we'd need to know what are the proper adjustments. But once you know what they are, you can just apply them to any future grade.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'd like to be illuminated on this issue!