Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Which rig/stabilizer for imparting 'energy' into shots?
  • All-

Going to be filming a corporate video here shortly; one of the effects that I would like to achieve is the slight 'motion' in the side/angle shots of an interview. See this interview with Shane Hurlbut to see what I mean:

Essentially, primary camera is on a tripod; then secondary camera for footage of interviewee from the side is either shoulder-mounted, handheld, or on some sort of Glidecam-esque device. The problem is, I don't know what type of device is being used.

I had been looking to obtain a shoulder mounted rig to achieve the same end- am I looking on the right path? Or should I be considering something else entirely? Basically, I want an option that allows me to get non-shaky footage, but that DOES have some motion to the shot so that not all of my shots are straight up stationary or on a slider.

I appreciate it!

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • That's a circular dolly move with a telephoto lens. You could achieve it with a slider/panning fluid head combo if you slide and pan at the same time. or with a tripod on this:

or this:
    As used to great effect by Andrew Garcia with the GH2:

• Excellent, thanks Oscillian!! I appreciate the keen eye and experienced insight.

For argument's sake, let's say that I did something less 'stately' than the Garcia piece (which is beautiful), and instead wanted to get a bit of a 'guerilla' look to the footage. Would having a person with a shoulder mount just stand stationary, with only body-induced sway to the footage, look totally ridiculous? (Basically, I am thinking that I would rather spend $700 or so for a good shoulder mount with top handle for versatility rather than $1300 for an Orbit Dolly that I could only use for that one type of shot.)

• I guess the Hurlbut shot is with a long slider+panning fluid head. That would make it more jerky than the Orbit way. I don't think a shoulder mount would cut it, since your using a 50-100mm lens at a large aperture and the shake/focus drifting would be too much (unless you're a tai chi master or a human gimbal)